Security Software Engineer II
Location: Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
Sonar is Microsoft’s high scale, behavioral analysis platform and sandbox detonation service for deep content analysis of files and URLs. It is used widely across Microsoft by our Cloud and Enterprise experiences serving more than 325M users1 and spins up ~150 million analysis VMs daily to stop threats across the attack kill chain (sign-up, hosting, time of delivery, time of click, and post-delivery).
Sonar’s Detection and Defense engineering team develops several highly scalable, distributed cloud services with global presence in multiple geos and clouds (public, Gov and AGP), and is responsible for the static and dynamic analysis of content (eg. documents, emails, executables, URLs) to find potentially malicious intent.
The Security Software Engineer will:
- Research the advanced threat / exploitation landscape;
- Implement rich security analysis and production quality detection capabilities for Office 365 Advanced Threat Protection service;
- Build and use automation in the cloud to scale-out impact;
- Have strong data knowledge, and ability to analyze and present complex data visually in a meaningful way.
- Experience working with windows/Linux/OS internals.
- A BS/MS in Computer Science or Computer Engineering, or comparable industry experience.
- Provable programming skills (C++ and/or C#) and understanding of data structures/algorithms.
- Good understanding of operating system and computer networking concepts.
- One or more of the following skills will be highly regarded.
- Knowledge in security and exploit/malware detection technologies, analysis and reverse engineering
- Knowledge in intelligence analysis and reporting using common tools and techniques.
- Good communication skills and an eye for detail. Able to perform well under stress, particularly in emergency response situations.
- Strong problem solving skills and technical judgment.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.