Site Reliability Engineer II CTJ - Poly
Location: Reston, Virginia
Job Type: Full time
Silver Team's Vision is to make it easy for everyone to create, consume, and manage planetary-scale, reliable cloud production services and infrastructure to achieve more. As a team, we bring together significant and complementary capabilities with tooling, infrastructure, monitoring and insights in new ways to increase our perspective. Our diversity of knowledge and experience comes together for the benefit of our users, our colleagues, our business, and ourselves.
Microsoft has been a leading company in computing for decades. We are a global operation, relied on by governments, utilities, schools, and co-operatives to deliver the things they need to work, every day.
In order to make this work for our customers, we need continual effort to make that delivery reliable. In order to drive reliability, we need you -- someone who already is, or is interested in becoming, a Site Reliability Engineer (also known as SRE).
SREs are people who take engineering-based approaches to solve operations problems: we like infrastructure, we like seeing how big complicated things work, and most importantly, we gain great satisfaction from making it better. We have backgrounds in lots of things -- of course, Computer Science, System Administration, Networking, Mathematics, and Engineering generally, but you can also find folks who've worked in Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Statistics, and even English.
SREs build, monitor, and maintain the systems and infrastructure that ensure our customers can quickly access their data and run workloads whenever and wherever they need to. We identify service problems and areas for improvement, and we follow up by fixing those problems. Our work is key to the success of many of the Microsoft services you'll have heard of, and a number you haven't. There are very few bits of Microsoft which aren't touched by SREs in some way or other.
SREs come in two kinds: SRE-SWE (people with a software engineering background), and SRE-SE (people with a systems engineering background).
If you have experience managing scaled services within government cloud offerrings, we’re interested in talking with you.
The scale of our operations is enormous. Microsoft's products and services are overwhelmingly consumed online, and billions of people use them every day. We need people who enjoy analyzing complicated problems, coming up with creative solutions, working in focused teams to build things no-one has thought of before, all in the service of production reliability.
If you are excited by this type of challenge, and you love to work in groups of people who are similarly excited, come join us. We value the input of people who aren't afraid to be learning all the time, who celebrate mistakes because they show the way forward, and those who are happy to continuously improve. We strongly believe that diverse experiences and backgrounds, and an environment where everyone can feel safe to contribute their own insights in a data-driven, objective, but the supportive way is the key to making the best workplace possible, and the best workplace makes the best products and services. Not only is it the smart thing, it's the right thing.
We would like to talk to you if you:
- Are interested in distributed systems and working with high scale services.
- Like to work in a fast-moving environment and you aren't afraid to change things to make them better.
- Enjoy new technological challenges and solving hard problems.
- Believe that a team working well together is truly smarter than the single smartest person on that team.
- Aspire to grow as a person, as a teammate, and as an engineer.
- Bachelors in Computer Science / Engineering or 5+ years of experience in software development.
- 5+ years of software development: automation-related experience valued in particular.
- 5+ years of experience using scripting languages such as bash, python, and PowerShell, or compiled languages such as C, C# and Go are most relevant but others are acceptable.
- Awareness of, and ability to reason about, modern software & systems architectures, including load-balancing, queueing, caching, distributed systems failure modes generally, microservices, and so on.
- Associated troubleshooting skills, including the ability to follow RPC call-chains across arbitrary network steps. Consequent understanding of monitoring in distributed systems.
- Experience with working in a team, including co-ordinating large projects, communicating well, and exercising initiative when presented with problems.
- Generally speaking, practical experience running large scale online systems is always an advantage.
Security Clearance Requirements: Candidates must be able to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
- Citizenship Verification: This position requires verification of US Citizenship to meet federal government security requirements
- The successful candidate must have an active U.S. Government Top Secret Clearance with access to Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) based on a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) with Polygraph. Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. Failure to maintain or obtain the appropriate U.S. Government clearance and/or customer screening requirements may result in employment action up to and including termination.
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Candidates selected for this position may need to comply with Federal Executive Order 14042 mandating that federal contractors and subcontractors receive the COVID-19 vaccine by being fully vaccinated before their date of hire, or work with Microsoft to receive an approved religious or medical accommodation.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.