Senior Finance Manager - Modern Work
Location: Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
Business Overview: The Modern Work customer solution area (CSA) which includes the commercial segments of Office and Windows is undergoing fundamental change as we shift users from perpetual software to cloud services and subscription plans. This transformation has required us to upend old, established ways of doing things; think creatively about what the future might look like; and pursue groundbreaking ways of transforming the business. Secular trends accelerated by the global pandemic, including remote work and the need for operational resiliency, have reinforced customer demand for our products and have fueled phenomenal business growth. In order to sustain the rapid growth we’ve achieved, we continually invest in new product categories, as well as explore new business models, that expand our total addressable market.
Job Overview: More than financial modelers, we in Modern Work & Security Finance are grounded in data on current business performance, adept in framing complex business issues, skilled in quantitative analyses, and passionate about driving the business forward. We maintain a close partnership with Business Planning teams across the commercial business.
Within Modern Work & Security Finance, the business planning team provides insightful and rigorous analyses, both quantitative and qualitative, to support pricing, packaging, licensing, M&A and business development activities, new product and datacenter investments, and other long-term decisions for Microsoft 365 and related products, across all commercial segments (Enterprise, Mid-Market and SMB). We provide thought leadership by creating, evolving, and socializing business frameworks such as Customer Acquisition Cost, Lifetime Value, Long-Range Plan & Growth Framework, etc. to help inform decisions by our senior leaders.
This Senior Finance Manager position will partner closely with Business Planning, Product Marketing, Finance, and Business Development to drive strategy and business model development to grow our SMB business by supporting product strategy decisions, packaging & pricing projects, and strategic partnerships. This role will also lead SMB LRP and LTV design & development. It is a rare opportunity with lots of scope for impact and executive visibility.
Long-range planning: Own the modeling for the three- to five-year forecast which reflects our long-term business strategy and growth ambition, with a deep focus on seats growth
Pricing & Packaging: Partner with Business Planning and Marketing to determine the optimal business model and pricing & packaging strategy for products in the SMB segment
Strategic partnership: Partner with Business Development, Engineering and Business Planning to drive strategic partnership that fuels customer acquisition and segment growth.
- Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, Economics, Data Science, or related field AND 4+ years of post-graduate financial analysis, accounting, controllership, or finance work experience
- OR Master's Degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, Economics, Data Science, or related field AND 2+ years of post-graduate financial analysis, accounting, controllership, or finance work experience
- OR equivalent experience.
- Solid analytics and critical thinking accompanied with strong Excel modeling skills
- Able to synthesize large amounts of data and complex scenarios, and formulate and build business cases that drive insight and optimal economic decisions
- Meticulous, thorough, and detail-oriented, yet able to see “the forest for the trees”
- Clear communication style and able to adapt the altitude and surface area of her or his content to the audience (from director-level all the way to the SLT)
- Self-motivated; able to handle a high degree of ambiguity and quickly identify what needs to be accomplished across multiple concurrent workstreams and stakeholders, yet able to push back where needed
- 2+ years of experience, with clear evidence of significant impact and influence in prior roles
- MBA or prior strategic business planning or management consulting experience
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.