Chief Of Staff
Location: Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
Microsoft Cloud continues to experience significant growth, and Azure Hardware Systems and Infrastructure (AHSI) is responsible for helping enable this growth. AHSI was established in November 2019 with the consolidation of Capacity, Supply Chain and Provisioning and the Hardware Systems Group, which included Cloud Systems Infrastructure, Azure Sphere, Silicon & HoloLens Hardware and Quantum. Structured on principles as a matrix-organization with vertical products that sit on top of horizontal capabilities, the org framework was initially rolled-out with open leads in more than half of the AHSI business groups. The leadership positions have since been filled with half of the LT new to Microsoft in the past 2 years.
On a mission to power the world’s computer with the most advanced hardware systems and infrastructure, AHSI’s goal is to create a competitive advantage for Microsoft and enable hyperscale growth in the cloud. Responsible for the planning, architecture, development, and deployment of all hardware that is delivered into the Microsoft Cloud datacenters, AHSI is building the roadmap for the evolution of the datacenter spanning Horizons 1, 2 & 3, including hardware solutions not only for today’s classical workloads, but also hyperscale workloads that will require artificially intelligent systems and the quantum computing systems of the future.
As Microsoft scales AHSI scales, and we are at an inflection point in our journey.
We are looking for someone to help lead us on the next stage of our journey, and we are looking for a Chief of Staff (COS) to partner with and support the CVP leader of AHSI, be a member of her leadership team (LT), and lead the AHSI Executive Office (EO). The AHSI EO mission is to make our leader, her LT, and the organization awesome, and we do so by systematically integrating functions across Business Operations, Executive Communications, and Program Management and driving a framework from Strategy à Planning à Processes à Tools & Systems.
We want to be streamlined and effective to do things that are useful to our community, to our teams, and to our leaders, and we want to build a culture of continuous feedback and improvement. This will be a unique opportunity to set up and test new ideas and frameworks in the hybrid workplace, and we look forward to working with someone that can help us innovate to scale by taking risks and pushing boundaries to change our mindset of what it means to work as part of AHSI and Microsoft.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Operationalizing at Scale – Strategy and planning go hand-in-hand, but one is commonly mistaken for the other. We are looking for someone to think holistically and strategically, with a proven ability to plan, organize, and manage complex technical products, to help operationalize priorities across our organization. The COS will be on-point for aligning strategic initiatives with cross-organization priorities and investment portfolio. This will include driving an effective rhythm of business complemented by automation and data-forward systems and tooling to align and track priorities and a portfolio of programs and investments.
- Unlocking a High-performance Team – AHSI is a complex organization with many partner teams across the globe. You will help harmonize across the organization and its executive and extended LTs and ensure the various business groups are coordinated, while also helping manage complex dependencies with great communication. Each of AHSI’s business groups are run by world-class leaders that are driving immediate and transformative business impact, and your role will be helping them come together to be more than the sum of their parts.
- Enabling Maximum Impact – AHSI is a hardware organization inside a software company and is transitioning from supporting the Azure business to driving differentiation for Microsoft as a company. This role will be on-point for helping navigate and drive greater spheres of partnership and influence across Microsoft and C+AI and will build trusted relationships with AHSI’s leaders to help them maximize their impact. The COS role will also be responsible for managing the AHSI Executive Office and helping facilitate the AHSI end-to-end business.
- 10+ years of experience in an engineering, product, program management, or related role
-OR- 10+ years marketing, strategy, business planning, consulting, entrepreneurship, etc. Preferred experience in hardware or related areas, with an ability to quickly pick up new technologies and industry trends across Cloud, Edge, AI, Mixed Reality.
- Experience managing multi-level, interdisciplinary teams (e.g., engineering, business operations, communications, program management).
- Proven competency in strategic thought leadership, organizational agility, and cross-team collaboration.
- Experience managing development programs and cross-functional teams across multiple geographies.
- Track record in driving operational excellence, with experience planning, creating, and managing schedules and budgets.
- Excellent visual and verbal communicator that can drive clarity in narrative, with strong ability to articulate information effectively and persuasively across communication settings. Preferred experience in strategic communications in executive settings.
- Excellent interpersonal and collaboration skills to navigate and network and lead by influence across organizations and levels.
- Highly self-driven with an ability to thrive in ambiguity and work autonomously in a hybrid environment.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.