Critical Environment Technician - Early in Career
Location: Boydton, Virginia
Job Type: Full time
In alignment with our Microsoft values, we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment for all employees to positively impact our culture every day and we need you as a Data Center Critical Environment Technician (Eary in Career).
Microsoft’s Cloud Operations & Innovation (CO+I) is the engine that powers our cloud services. As a CO+I Critical Environment Technician, you will perform a key role in delivering the core infrastructure and foundational technologies for Microsoft's online services including Bing, Office 365, Xbox, OneDrive, and the Microsoft Azure platform. As a group, CO+I is focused on the personal and professional development of all employees and offers trainings and opportunities including Career Rotation Programs, Diversity & Inclusion trainings and events, and professional certifications.
Our infrastructure is comprised of a large global portfolio of more than 100 datacenters and 1 million servers. Our foundation is built upon and managed by a team of subject matter experts working to support services for more than 1 billion customers and 20 million businesses in over 90 countries worldwide.
With environmental sustainability and optimization at the forefront of our datacenter design and operations, we continue to grow and evolve as we meet the ever-changing business demands that hold Microsoft as a world-class cloud provider.
Do you want to empower billions across the world? Come and join us in CO+I and be at the forefront of the action!
As a successful Critical Environment Technician, your success is measured by:
Equipment and Systems Operations
- Perform assigned basic tasks (e.g., making rounds, recording building observations, taking measurements) with supervision.
- Builds knowledge in operating specific equipment. Learns how to operate all systems and equipment in a safe and professional manner and learns about all risks associated with these systems.
- Performs basic monitoring and inspection of critical environment-related facility equipment (e.g., controls, heating, ventilation, and air conditioning [HVAC], mechanical systems), building, and grounds for unsafe or abnormal conditions.
- Performs basic monitoring of the performance of maintenance and operations of equipment (e.g., electrical, mechanical, fire/life safety) within the data center.
- Utilizes internal computerized maintenance management system (CMMS) to track all equipment assets and to complete work order requests for maintenance work.
- Safely assists in providing emergency monitoring and response to various abnormal conditions with supervision, utilizing emergency operating procedures (EOPs). Gathers necessary information and participate in the creation of incident timelines/data, root-cause analyses, and/or action items following an abnormal condition as required.
Equipment and Systems Maintenance
- Performs various types of maintenance (e.g., planned, predictive, corrective) as assigned, following methods of procedure (MOPs), and standard operating procedures (SOPs). Provides assistance by prepping materials and performing administrative tasks as instructed.
- Performs basic troubleshooting of equipment and systems independently and participates in troubleshooting of complex systems with guidance from senior colleagues.
- Documents tasks/issues found in maintenance and troubleshooting for follow up as needed. Escalates as appropriate.
- Provides necessary escort to third-party contractors, sub-contractors, vendors, and service providers on site based on the appropriate severity leveled procedures. Provides assistance as instructed in getting third-party work underway.
Critical Environment Culture
- Understands, follows, and ensures safety and security requirements (e.g., job hazard assessments [JHAs], toolbox talks), and business processes and procedures to properly perform work in a safe, quality, and reliable manner in accordance to applicable federal, state, local, and Microsoft requirements.
- Recognizes safe versus unsafe working conditions and responds accordingly. Seeks to escalate immediately when unsafe working conditions are observed. Participates in required meetings, trainings, and necessary handoffs.
- Assesses and identifies appropriate resources and equipment necessary to fully support environmental health and safety (EH&S) objectives.
- Prepares and submits required reports (e.g., turnover, planned maintenance [PM]) as assigned following preexisting scripts and templates. Documents completed work using approved tools and procedural templates for senior review. Develops methods of operating procedure (MOPs) and standard operating procedures (SOPs) for appropriately leveled procedures to ensure safe and reliable execution.
For this role, you are welcome to apply if you meet the following Required Qualifications:
- High School Diploma, GED, or equivalent.
- 1+ year(s) work/applied learning experience in technical fields (e.g., mechanical, manufacturing, automotive, electrical, controls, data center)
- Or equivalent experience
- Ability to work 12 hours shifts, including shift assignments during non-standard business hours that may include evening, nighttime, weekends, and/or holidays.
While not required, we also look for the following Preferred Qualifications:
- High School Diploma, GED, or equivalent AND 2+ years technical services experience (e.g., high-availability assembly/manufacturing/critical infrastructure environments such as data centers, oil and gas refineries, hospitals, pharmaceutical)
- OR Associate's Degree or technical trade certification (e.g., military, trade school), or higher-equivalent education AND 1+ year(s) technical services experience (e.g., high-availability assembly/manufacturing/critical infrastructure environments such as data centers, oil and gas refineries, hospitals, pharmaceutical)
- OR equivalent experience.
Background Check Requirements:
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
- Audiometric Screening: To promote health and safety in the workplace, employees are subject to required health related screenings, such as hearing testing, which includes both baseline testing and annual retests.
By applying to this position, you are being considered for multiple like positions at this site.
This role is required to be onsite at the Data Center during scheduled work hours.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.