Principal Engineering Manager - Microsoft Entra
Location: Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
At Microsoft, our core mission is empowering every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Microsoft Entra sits within our Security, Compliance, Identity and Management Division and is at the heart of the day-to-day technology experience for billions of humans globally, playing a critical part in enabling everyone to achieve more. Our suite of products powers everything from Windows to Office, Azure to Xbox. Microsoft Entra is a dynamic and inclusive team which cares deeply about our customer experience and works to solve extraordinarily complex problems at extreme scale.
Identity Platform seeks a Principal Engineering Manager to help our team tackle some of our most complex problems – our Platform team. This team is charged to increase availability of mission-critical services, building better software to serve over 1B humans globally. Are you passionate about distributed systems, and how to build and run them at extreme scale? Are you curious, always learning, and someone who seeks to be a force multiplier through your contribution? If that sounds fun, we would love to meet you!
As an Engineering Manager within Identity Platform, you will lead engineers working on lynchpin services within Identity, e.g., our Livesite Management technology. Our services often process millions of requests per second, reliably powering hundreds of billions of authentications per day, and they meet challenging availability targets (>99.99%). This role will require you to mix strategy and tactics: creating clarity on where services need to be in 24 months’ time, building and growing the right team to support that vision, diving deep into the details of how the service is built and run today.
- 7+ years’ of software engineering experience.
- 3+ years’ experience leading a team of software engineers.
- Experience in your career history as a hands-on engineer working with distributed systems.
- Previous experience working with Kubernetes
- Deep practical experience operating high-scale services in production environments. Opinions on what great observability looks like, what safe deployments look like and how to troubleshoot and diagnose high-scale systems effectively.
- Examples of developing and managing requirements and making data-driven decisions. Experience in trade-off scenarios, prior ownership of a roadmap, and setting goals.
- Proven ability to lead and drive consensus on complex topics across leadership, team, and organizational boundaries and to deliver outcomes – the scope of this role is division-wide.
- Experience influencing executive leadership and executive stakeholders.
- Excellent communications skills, comfortable presenting to large audiences and customers.
- Prior experience with performance analysis and optimization of web services and software.
- Prior experience building services which run on Microsoft Azure, Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud or Oracle Cloud Infrastructure.
- Prior experience working in the Identity and/or Security domains.
Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.