Location: United States
Job Type: Full time
The Global Demand Center (GDC) within the Cloud Marketing Group is leading the marketing transformation of Microsoft’s largest and fastest growing commercial cloud businesses. And we need your copywriting talent to help light up the digital experiences that support how customers, across industries, buy cloud services from Microsoft. The Content and SEO team is looking for a creative, resourceful, data-driven copywriter with a strong desire to bring our brand to life and delivering amazing experiences. The ideal candidate loves to create compelling copy that attracts customers, inspires their engagement, and nurtures them through their digital journey—and understands that words matter, that words directly impact the user experience, and that words can help delight our customers at every touch point. Our Team: We are a fast-paced group with global stakeholders. We put a focus on getting things done, simplifying anything and everything, and having fun doing it. You will be in the middle of it all helping to make decisions that impact our resources, timelines, and global web and e-mail experiences.
Who you are:
- Exceptional writer. You’ve done it all—business to business and consumer, ads to web copy—and have the portfolio to prove it. Your sentences are squeaky clean, compelling, and conversational. You relentlessly cut through the clutter to get to the core message. You know when jargon is useful and when it gets in the way, when to add a dash of style, and when to just stick to facts.
- Top-notch editor. You’re nitpicky about style rules, offended by typos, and instantly know how to make a bad draft better.
- De-mystifier. You’re not daunted by complex projects and have an uncanny ability to unravel complicated issues and come up with clear copy solutions that makes things easier for our customers.
- Collaborator. You can work in highly-matrixed organizations across marketing, engineering, and business operations, taking others’ perspectives with an open mind.
- Curious about SEO. You can use basic industry tools to research keyword opportunities, optimize existing content, and develop new content to meet search needs.
- Audience-obsessed. You’re laser-focused on your audience and their needs and interests. Your copy respects their time and intelligence, but never assumes readers inherently know or care about what you’re talking about.
- Creative. You can make even the most seemingly-boring, technical concepts compelling and understandable.
- Fact-based, data-driven. You persuade with facts, not fluff. And always challenge your assumptions and word choices using surveys, A/B tests, and other tools.
Write and edit: Your primary job is to write, re-write, and edit copy for web, e-mail, and other digital assets. Be it writing from the ground up based on strategy briefs, or rolling up your sleeves to help shape existing copy—you’re ready to raise the bar on copy excellence.
SEO (Search Engine Optimization): You’ll research keywords and use SEO writing best practices to boost search rankings for web copy. You will also look for brand and non-brand opportunities to create new content pages that capture organic search queries and increase site engagement.
Test and optimize: You’ll work closely with our partners to brainstorm testable new hypotheses across web and e-mail, write copy for experimentation initiatives, and apply lessons and best practices to other digital channels.
Other: Embody our culture and values.
- 1+ year(s) proven digital marketing copywriting experience, writing or content design experience AND a certification, degree, or training in English, Writing, Human-centered Design, Literature, or related field
o OR equivalent experience.
Additional or Preferred Qualifications
- 3+ years proven digital marketing copywriting experience, writing or content design experience AND a certification, degree, or training in English, Writing, Human-centered Design, Literature, or related field
o OR equivalent experience.
- Deep understanding of digital marketing and specific experience writing marketing copy for a consistent customer journey across web and e-mail channels
- Creativity and consistent record in delivering innovative marketing approaches
- Experience working from briefs and translating creative direction and messaging into compelling copy
- Demonstrated understanding of editorial style guides and the ability to write copy aligned to brand voice standards
- Experience using data to direct copy choice and influence stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to communicate professionally across teams and levels in ambiguous environments
- Demonstrated ability to work under constant deadline pressure and manage multiple projects across multiple teams with grace and flexibility
- Experience and demonstrated success marketing to business and technical audiences
- Demonstrated understanding of the creative process and the ability to work collaboratively with designers to land the best message for customers
- Deep understanding of brand voice principles
- Familiarity with cloud computing concepts and technologies
- Understanding of content optimization and SEO best practices
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
The salary for this role in the state of Colorado is between $108,200 and $162,200.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work. US-based employees gain access to healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan and company match, short-term and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance, and fitness benefits, among others.