Senior Software Engineer
Location: Bellevue, Washington
Job Type: Full time
Microsoft is a company where passionate innovators come to collaborate, envision what can be and take their careers to levels they cannot achieve anywhere else. This is a world of more possibilities, more innovation, more openness, and the sky is the limit thinking a cloud-enabled world.
Microsoft’s Intelligence Platform engineering team is leading the transformation of analytics in the world of data with products like Power BI, Synapse Analytics, Azure Data Factory, Azure Data Explorer. We will bring the world’s data to the Microsoft Cloud, power a new class of data first applications, and empower everyone on the planet to make better decisions with data.
We do not just value differences or different perspectives. We seek them out and invite them in so we can tap into the collective power of everyone in the company. As a result, our ideas are better, our products are better, and our customers are better served.
The working population on the planet is over 3 billion people. Our opportunity with Power BI is to empower everyone to make better decisions with data - starting with the 300 million information workers using Office 365. The Data Cloud Administration & Governance team delivers scalable, cost effective, and data-driven features that are core to Power BI. This work ensures that Power BI is built on a sustainable service architecture that can provide rapid insights to customers.
We rely on numerous Azure technologies like Service Fabric, SQL Azure, REDIS cache, Service Bus, API Management, blob storage, Document DB, Azure Data Lake, Kusto, containers, etc. Managing the consumption/capacity of these resources and optimizing their usage is vital to the success of Power BI.
We are building and expanding a world-class service that combines big data, mission critical services, and real-time insights. This combination makes the area among the most cutting-edge across the entire industry!
The Data Cloud Administration & Governance Team drives efforts related to cost management, platform scalability, and operational efficiency across Power BI. You will play a key role in ensuring that the Power BI service leads the industry in cost efficiency by identifying and implementing service optimizations as well as by investigating new technologies (e.g. autoscaling, next-generation hardware/services). These learnings will be essential to creating and prioritizing cost savings initiatives. You will partner with multiple engineering teams across Microsoft to accelerate efficiency improvement work that will yield the highest ROI to the business and its customers. Beyond cost savings, these enhancements will ensure that the service can scale to support continued growth with acceptable performance and reliability. You also will drive relevant reporting, monitoring, and tooling to detect regressions and behavioral changes that could limit scalability, impact performance, or increase operational costs.
The team is looking for passionate people with experiences working with all aspects of high throughput and multi-tenant services, including the ability to design components carefully, to properly handle errors, and to write clean and well-factored code that is maintainable and properly tested.
- Design, code, test, and develop features with good quality, maintainability, and end to end ownership
- Define and leverage data models to understand cost drivers, to create concrete action plans that address open-ended problems, and to track progress toward efficiency goals
- Develop highly-efficient code that scales to millions of active users at minimal operational costs.
- Work with all aspects of a high throughput and multi-tenant service
- Integrate and leverage Microsoft and Azure technologies efficiently within the Power BI Platform
- Collaborate effectively within the team and with partner teams across Microsoft
- Review and contribute to the specifications and implementations written by other team members
- 5+ years of software development experience with deep knowledge of C# (preferable), Java, or C++ with solid engineering practices
- 5+ years of experience with technical problem solving and debugging skills
- 2+ years cloud service development
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering (or related software engineering fields)
- Experience of building highly performant scalable services.
- Experience designing and implementing automated tests, including unit tests and integration tests.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills (to engage with both technical and non-technical stakeholders at all levels)
- Exposure to cloud technology stacks from Microsoft, Amazon, or Google
- Optional: Familiarity with big data, data science/analytics, and large-scale distributed systems.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check:
- This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.