Senior Solutions Engineer
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, Austin, Texas, Boise, Idaho, Portland, Oregon, Redmond, Washington, Richmond, Virginia, Sunnyvale, California, Washington, District of Columbia
Job Type: Full time
Microsoft is a highly innovative company that collaborates across disciplines to produce cutting edge technology that changes our world. The Azure Cloud Hardware and Infrastructure Engineering (CHIE) team is seeking a highly motivated senior hardware systems engineer to work in a team of other hardware and software developers to create systems and modules to be deployed in Microsoft’s Azure Cloud. Microsoft provides ample opportunities for developers to have an impact on products that touch the lives of millions of users daily, in a cutting-edge public cloud environment.
As a Systems Engineering team member, you will work directly with engineers across cross-functional teams and deliver hardware designs from concept to data center deployment. Responsibilities will include interacting directly with Microsoft’s services teams, cross-discipline design teams focusing on the functional interfaces and developing test cases and qualifying the designs. This is an opportunity to leverage and grow your existing hardware design/validation experience and provide innovative E2E hardware solutions to Microsoft Cloud.
Come join this exciting and growing team through our monumental evolution of cloud hardware at Azure and Microsoft!
- Work with many Enterprise class server and networking technologies to create designs used to deploy very large scale BareMetal or Cloud hardware offerings.
- Create configuration documentation used to procure, manufacture, and deploy Servers, Racks, and Rows of hardware at scale.
- Provide guidance to and work with System Integrators to build hardware designs in factory as needed.
- Interface with engineering development teams, gather requirements and provide feedback on SKU design feasibility and constraints.
- Communicate effectively across engineering groups and stakeholders to define priorities, schedules and resources needed. Create and maintain dashboards for project status.
- Lead internal and external process improvements, create process documentation, and bring different and new perspectives to solving problems.
- Partner with Engineering team members, business groups and data center infrastructure engineering groups, to define goals for new platforms at Microsoft.
- Partner with Sourcing, Supply Chain and Capacity Planning to ensure smooth handoff of server designs considering transition plans.
- Provide cross functional subject matter expertise on solution design to broader virtual teams.
- Monitor internal requests and establish standard processes to improve efficiencies and provide internal customer support.
- Work independently to balance multiple tasks and competing priorities simultaneously.
- Effectively run cross-organizational meetings to lead teams to consensus and/or decisions to meet deliverables.
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical/Computer Science, Computer Engineering, IT operations, Engineering, or equivalent degree.
- 5 years of experience in Server Hardware Development, Data Center Engineering, Network Operations and/or Systems Development.
- 2 years of experience leading technical projects, writing technical documentation, and/or presenting/creating executive level communication & dashboards.
- Experience creating complex technical documentation used to configure enterprise hardware devices.
- Experience working with Enterprise class server and networking hardware from multiple vendors in development, operations, or manufacturing (Dell, HPE, Cisco, Netapp, IBM, and others).
- Understanding of network administration or logical network topology planning.
- Understanding of Data center rack/row build out, air flow and other infrastructure constraints
- Experience in managing Enterprise-level large-scale and complex projects/programs.
- Ability to work independently, drive projects, and self-serve solutions.
- Proven working knowledge of leading technology and best practices with configuration management and product data management.
- Experience working with engineering, supply chain, capacity planning, sourcing, and datacenter teams.
- Proven capabilities to drive positive business results through cross-group collaboration and partnerships.
- Must be able to establish milestones, short- and long-term timelines, and drive the work plan, adapting as necessary in a rapidly evolving environment.
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to clearly express technical concepts in verbal, concise logical presentation, and written forms.
- Ability to interact with diverse technical and non-technical groups spanning all organizational levels.
- Strong critical thinking, attention to detail, and resolution in sometimes ambiguous situations.
- A+, Server+, or another OEM Server Hardware Certification.
- Cloud Associate Certification.
- CCNA Cisco Certified Network Associate.
- CDCP Certified Data Center Professional.
- Working knowledge of data analytics tools (Power BI, etc.)
- Experience with IT Service Management, ITIL, Change Management, Release Management, Product Life Cycle.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.