Principal Software Engineer
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, Austin, Texas, Boston, Massachusetts, Dallas, Texas, Miami, Florida, Mountain View, California, Phoenix, Arizona, Raleigh, North Carolina, Redmond, Washington, Reston, Virginia, San Diego, California, Sunnyvale, California, Washington, District of Columbia
Job Type: Full time
The Windows AI platform places Microsoft's best innovations in machine learning and AI skills in the hands of millions of Windows developers worldwide. The Windows AI team has a mission to make Windows an AI-first product and to deliver breakthrough technology that helps drive Microsoft's success in AI in the years to come. We are a fast-growing team with passion and specialty in designing high-performance platform API that leverages the underlying cutting-edge hardware capability ranging from GPU Compute to dedicated AI processor architectures. We are looking for an engineer with experience and strong desire to build high-performance machine learning execution runtime and API. This important role offers a significant potential to positively impact Microsoft's future and the industry.
- Drive co-engineering efforts across teams and with industry partners to deliver scalable and high-performance machine learning features on graphics (GPU) and neural processors (NPU)
- Design, build and support key features for graphics systems that delight customers
- Execute feature delivery with a focus on quality and maintainability
- Work effectively across teams to address problems and collaboratively arrive at solutions
- A bachelor’s or master's degree in engineering, computer science or equivalent
- 10+ years of professional software development experience
- 5+ years coding in C++ or HLSL (or equivalent) with strong debugging skills
- Experience working at the low levels of the software stack and/or integration of hardware and software
- Knowledge of GPU architecture and experience writing high-performance shaders for low level graphics APIs like Direct3D, OpenGL, Vulkan, or Metal is a strong plus
- Strong communication and collaboration skills with the ability to deal with ambiguity
Cloud Background check:
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
Microsoft Cloud Background Check:
This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.