Software Engineer II
Location: Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
The Azure Edge + Platform Engineering System team designs, builds, and operates the largest scale engineering system in the industry. We are building large scale systems by leveraging our experience and knowledge in distributed systems and hybrid cloud computing. Our services support the secure development and release of some of the most widely used products in the world!
Our team owns the ingestion and validation of the internal MS C++ toolchain used for compiling the Windows OS, one of the largest C++ code bases in the world. As part of the team, you will work on the entire breadth of the Windows code base, specializing to look behind the surface of application failures and test bugs to locate hard-to-find compiler code generation issues and subtle incompatibilities in post-binary build tooling. You thrive in fixing build breaks caused by C++ semantics and standard changes; often in unfamiliar code you see the first time.
This job provides you with an opportunity to:
- Impact literally every bit of one of the most widely used operating systems in the world that is critical to the foundation of Azure as well as millions of people worldwide.
- Work in a world class engineering team of engineers, architects, and leadership that will help you grow your career.
- Be part of a dynamic community that will enable you to learn, collaborate, and contribute with the top minds in the industry.
- Deploy new MS C++ toolset candidates into a targeted Windows branch, drive resolution of build breaks.
- Drive the validation process by root-causing all sorts of OS failures, test bugs and application failures (both first party and a large set of 3rd party applications).
- Drive the resolution of performance failures of the toolchain itself (build performance regressions) or failures of our internal performance gates.
- Collaborate effectively in a team atmosphere across a large set of teams across MS.
- BS or MS in Computer Science, a related degree or equivalent experience.
- 3+ years software development with C#/C++/Java or equivalent.
- Strong knowledge with C/C++ including language features as well as assembly language for multiple architectures.
- Associate level knowlege of compiler construction course (e.g., identifier liveness, register allocation and its associated failures).
- Proven track record for building and shipping production software.
- Demonstrated ability and experience in the entire development cycle: design, implementation, deployment, and live site.
- You are an experienced, smart engineer who loves a challenge and is constantly wanting to learn more.
- Solve the problem, not the symptoms.
- Experience with analyzing post-mortem crash dumps for diagnosing bugs.
- An understanding of code layout in binaries as well as familiarity with analyzing profiling data (e.g., memory usage) of processes.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to, the following specialized security screenings:
Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.