Datacenter Technician I (Night shift)
Location: Manassas, Virginia
Job Type: Full time
This is a night shift position that requires you to work weekends.
In alignment with our Microsoft values, we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment for all employees to positively impact our culture every day and we need you as a Datacenter Technician (DCT).
Microsoft’s Cloud Operations & Innovation (CO+I) is the engine that powers our cloud services. As a CO+I DCT, you will perform a key role in delivering the core infrastructure and foundational technologies for Microsoft's online services including Bing, Office 365, Xbox, OneDrive, and the Microsoft Azure platform. As a group, CO+I is focused on the personal and professional development for all employees and offers trainings and growth opportunities including Career Rotation Programs, Diversity & Inclusion trainings and events, and professional certifications.
Our infrastructure is comprised of a large global portfolio of more than 100 datacenters and 1 million servers. Our foundation is built upon and managed by a team of subject matter experts working to support services for more than 1 billion customers and 20 million businesses in over 90 countries worldwide.
With environmental sustainability and optimization at the forefront of our datacenter design and operations, we continue to grow and evolve as we meet the ever-changing business demands that hold Microsoft as a world-class cloud provider.
Do you want to empower billions across the world? Come and join us in CO+I and be at the forefront of the action!
As a Datacenter Technician, your success will be measured by:
Data Center Operations
- Receives guidance and supervision to develop an understanding of standard processes and procedures for preparing, installing, performing diagnostics, troubleshooting, replacing, and/or decommissioning equipment.
- Asks questions when they do not have required information.
- Complies with Data Center Services (DCS) business unit and service-level policies, procedures, and deadlines with guidance from other technicians.
- Completes assigned tickets efficiently and in alignment with Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) while meeting established Service Level Agreements (SLAs) with guidance from other technicians.
- Prepares, stages, sets up, and performs basic startups and shutdowns for hardware according to specifically written instructions provided via checklists, guides, standard protocols, emails, guidance from other technicians, and direction from management.
- Performs basic diagnostics and troubleshooting with guidance from experienced technicians and by following standard procedures to identify the cause of issues and replace faulty components with minimal customer and business disruption
- Decommissions hardware for simple changes and refreshes following standard procedures seeking clarification and guidance from more experienced technicians as needed.
- Follows procedures to communicate, report, and escalate incidents to appropriate Microsoft data center operations management and Technician Leads.
- Contributes to issue tracking through escalations by asking questions and seeking guidance on timely resolution of issues from more experienced technicians.
- Develops an understanding of cross-functional processes to support partnerships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Completes required training aligned to the role and workload; observes more experienced technicians to gain hands-on experience and relevant on-the-job training (OJT); may complete additional training to obtain or maintain relevant role certifications.
Data Center Work Environment
- Participates in daily safety briefings, completes required safety training, complies with safety procedures (e.g., equipment use, lifting, electrical hazards, ladder/rolling stair use).
- Complies with security and data management procedures and policies with guidance from other technicians and completes required security training.
- Contributes to a positive and effective team environment by sharing information with others, contributing to regular team meetings, asking questions and staying apprised of the status of others' work, and partnering with other technicians to complete and/or hand off tickets as needed.
- Has pride and a sense of accountability for the service quality, completeness, and resulting user experience; displays accountability and ownership of the data center facilities.
- Maintains a strong client focus to understand the impact of their work when completing tickets and assigned tasks.
- Embody our culture and values
Microsoft reviews all applications that meet the below Required Qualifications.
For this role, you are welcome to apply if you meet the following Required Qualifications:
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent and basic knowledge of computer hardware and components.
- Ability to work 12 hours shifts, including shift assignments during non-standard business hours that may include evening, nighttime, weekends, and/or holidays.
While not required, we also look for the following Preferred Qualifications:
- 1+ years' experience supporting IT equipment or related technology
- Applicable certifications: CompTIA (A+, Server+, Network+), Basic Structure Cabling (BSC).
Background Check Requirements:
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
- Citizenship Verification: This position requires verification of US Citizenship to meet federal government security requirements.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.