Principal Software Engineer
Location: Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to help protect over a billion users across the planet? Are you excited about cybersecurity? If so, read on! The Microsoft Security Response Center (MSRC) team's mission is to protect our customers from the perils and attacks they face as they engage in the online world. This team’s charter is to protect Microsoft 365, the world’s largest productivity service and its principal data store. We continually take inputs from bug bounty, internal penetration test and external customer feedback to keep our customer's data secure. We are tasked with keeping up and exceeding the pace of innovation that is happening around the world.
The Security, Compliance, Identity, and Management Team is looking for a Principal Software Engineer to help secure our customers. You will be working with a talented team of engineers chartered with protecting our services (and customers) from the threats they face in this quickly changing landscape of cybersecurity. As a Principal Software Engineer on the Substrate Security Green Team, you will work with the larger security organization and the Exchange & Substrate product teams to identify areas of security risk, and drive improvements. In this role you will build strategy, write code, work with teams to evangelize secure patterns and build secure services, and drive architectural changes into the product to improve security outcomes. Interested? Come talk to us!
- Experience building understanding and creating detailed engineering plans to improve existing product security stance and architecture
- Strong project management and organization skills, with the ability and passion around security impact.
- A track record of effectively collaborating across groups, driving energy and clarity to solve complex technical and security problems.
- Experience balancing security and productivity and finding successful approaches to mitigating risk.
- Fluency in coding, rapid prototyping
- Security Design and Architecture: Analyze and understand security threats to Exchange + Substrate, and build durable solutions to address those threats. Own the technical approach to create and improve security architecture in Exchange and Substrate. Deeply understand evolving security risk, security research, and security tradeoffs associated with engineering patterns and approaches.
- Author Well-Designed, Scalable, Reliable Code: Analyze security threats to the Exchange + Substrate ecosystem. Author thoughtful, well-designed code to address these security problems, including libraries for essential security functions, proof-of-concept code, and bugs or foundational changes to the Exchange + Substrate platform.
- Collaborate with Partner Teams: Collaborate with the broader security team and the Exchange/Substrate teams to understand the architecture of Substrate and evangelize thoughtful security improvements.
- Nurture Talent: Enjoy mentoring junior and senior engineers with a track-record of growing them
- Bachelor’s degree or higher, with Master’s in relevant area preferred.
- 4+ years information security experience, preferably with both engineering and operations experience.
- 8+ years in software development or with engineering large scale distributed systems.
- Previous Microsoft experience would be beneficial.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.