Technical Support Engineering
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, Charlotte, North Carolina, Fargo, North Dakota, Irving, Texas, Issaquah, Washington, Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
With over 17,000 employees worldwide, the Microsoft Customer Experience & Success (CE&S) organization is responsible for the strategy, design, and implementation of Microsoft’s end-to-end customer experience. Come join CE&S and help us build a future where customers come to us not only because we provide industry-leading products and services, but also because we provide a differentiated and connected customer experience. Within CE&S, the Customer Service & Support (CSS) organization builds trust and confidence for every person and organization through delivering a seamless support experience. In CSS, we help customers and partners resolve their issues quickly, prevent future problems from occurring, and demonstrate new ways to achieve more from their Microsoft investment.
In the Customer Service & Support (CSS) team we are looking for people with a passion for delivering customer success. As a Technical Support Engineer you will own, troubleshoot and solve customer technical issues. This opportunity will allow you to accelerate your career growth, honing your problem-solving, collaboration and research skills, and develop your technical proficiency. This role is flexible in that you can work up to 50% from home.
Response and Resolution
- Reviews complex issues (e.g., multiple components of a product) and contacts customers to understand issue. Ensures customers stay informed as to the status/solution of their issue. Utilizes troubleshooting tools (e.g., event logs, performance traces) to help resolve customer issues.
- Resolves customer issues through problem solving, collaboration, and research. May take escalated issues as needed. Documents technical work and research.
- Performs in-depth product troubleshooting and remediation when needed.
- Collaborates on cross-team and cross-product technical issues by working with resources from other groups as needed to resolve moderately complex customer issues.
- You participate in communities with peer delivery roles.
- You develop specific technical and professional proficiency to enable you to understand and resolve customer issues, through training and readiness.
- Provides feedback to more senior engineers or serviceability team on functionality of products based on engagements with customers. Provides feedback to the product group for product improvement.
- Identifies potential defects and escalates to more senior engineers to resolve.
- Applies broad knowledge of automated tools being used across other technologies and products. Provides feedback for tool improvement.
- Identifies and provides feedback to address process gaps in an effort to streamline processes and shares best practices broadly.
- Participates in case triage meetings and/or case discussions to share knowledge with other engineers and contribute to more rapid customer solutions. Utilizes learnings from triage meetings to identify and communicate readiness needs to manager or readiness team.
- 3+ years technical support, technical consulting experience, or information technology experience OR Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology (IT), or related field AND 1+ year(s) technical support, technical consulting experience, or information technology experience
- Experience in a customer facing or customer support role with strong troubleshooting and problem-solving of complex technical issues involving multiple technologies in a team environment.
- Strong problem-solving skills such as, experience gaining understanding of a problem you had never heard of or seen before and the surrounding context to isolate possible causes of the problem and potential solutions or workarounds.
- Experience diagnosing and resolving unexpected behavior in SQL Server or other RDBMS that require the use of log/data collection and analysis to determine the cause and solution.
- Solid knowledge on performance tuning and database design, T-SQL language
- Experience in capacity planning, sizing SQL Server environments and high availability configurations
- Experience troubleshooting and diagnosing issues with SQL replication.
Additional or Preferred Qualifications
- Previous experience as a Database Administrator,Technical Support Engineer and/or Developer
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.