Principal Software Engineering Manager
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, Austin, Texas, Charlotte, North Carolina, Chicago, Illinois, Dallas, Texas, Los Angeles, California, Orlando, Florida, Portland, Oregon, Redmond, Washington, San Francisco, California, Washington, District of Columbia
Job Type: Full time
Are you someone with passion for technology, engineering excellence and quality? Are you looking for work on world-class cloud services and grow a team of highly talented engineers? If so, Azure Data Services is the right place for you.
Azure Data Services is the Microsoft organization that delivers industry-leading, intelligent, cloud services that span over 36 regions across the world. Some of best-known products are SQL Database, Azure Purview, Azure Synapse, CosmosDB, Power BI, HDInsight, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Databricks, SQL Datawarehouse, Azure Data Factory, Azure Stream Analytics, Cognitive Search, Azure Purview and Azure Synapse Analytics. The Azure Data SaaS organization is building a cross-cutting platform, ecosystem and tooling that are geared towards SaaS ISVs and cloud-native developers and businesses. Meaningful, simple, and intuitive experiences and tooling that meet the customers where they are and satisfy the data-related needs of their applications are a big part of our mission and key to our success.
If you want to be part of one of the biggest innovations in the world, if you are customer-focused and enjoy innovating in the developer-centric landscape of data projects,
join our team! You will have the opportunity to work in a startup-like environment, collaborate closely with many teams and partners across Azure Data, Visual Studio and GitHub organizations.
On our team, we strive to build lasting relationships, and we make each other better by supporting, mentoring, laughing, and empathizing. We believe strongly that diversity and empathy are key to building great teams and crafting visionary products with global appeal. We value variety in perspectives and backgrounds and work together to create an inclusive environment that supports this. If you are interested in learning more about Azure, feel free to check out our landing page here: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/overview/.
- Apply the “model, coach, care” leadership principles to help engineers on our team learn and grow in their career;
- Build and foster a team culture that values diversity, inclusiveness, collaboration and passion for the customers;
- Set technical direction for delivering innovative user facing solutions and experiences for large-scale distributed systems, with a hands-on approach and a startup-like mindset.
- Set the standards, practices and processes to drive high team performance and ensure our product meets and exceeds our customer’s expectations.
- Create and drive team direction and strategy at all phases of engineering and project management;
- Establish and meet fundamental KPI requirements in quality, performance, security, accessibility, reliability, scalability, CSAT;
- Provide and drive clarity inside and outside team and organization boundaries.
- Design and implement efficient and effective engineering systems and infrastructure to improve the reliability, scalability, and efficiency of your services.
- Collaborate closely and efficiently across disciplines and organizations to drive clarity, consensus, consistency and achieve mutual success.
- Drive and support team efforts in adopting relevant new technologies, tools, methods and processes from Microsoft and industry.
- 8+ years of industry software engineering experience developing and operating complex systems using C++, C#, Java, Python.
- 5+ years of demonstrated technical leadership in shipping high-quality cloud services and/or applications
- Strong, proven leadership track as people manager or technical lead for a project
- Proven track of ability to help others learn and grow
- BS in Computer Science or relevant technical experience.
- Experience with UX focused development and driving the product and service evolution from a user experience, data focused angle
- Proven track record of design and technical accomplishment
- Knowledge of Microsoft Azure, AWS or similar cloud computing platforms is preferred
- Effective collaborator, experienced in creating technical partnerships across teams
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Strong design skills
- Strong mentoring and technical leadership experience.
- Experience using GitHub, Visual Studio Code or other common development environments.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.