Senior Manufacturing Engineer
Location: Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
Microsoft Cloud Hardware Infrastructure Engineering (CHIE) is the team behind Microsoft’s expanding Cloud Infrastructure and responsible for powering Microsoft’s “Intelligent Cloud” mission. CHIE delivers the core infrastructure and foundational technologies for Microsoft’s over 200 online businesses including Bing, MSN, Office 365, Xbox Live, Skype, OneDrive and the Microsoft Azure platform globally with our server and data center infrastructure, security and compliance, operations, globalization, and manageability solutions. Our focus is on smart growth, high efficiency, and delivering a trusted experience to customers and partners worldwide and we are looking for passionate, high energy engineers to help achieve that mission. As Microsoft’s cloud business continues to grow the ability to deploy new offerings and HW infrastructure on time, in high volume with high quality and lowest cost is of paramount importance.
To achieve this goal, the Cloud Hardware Manufacturing Engineering (CHME) team is instrumental in defining and delivering operational measures of success for hardware manufacturing, improving the planning process, quality, delivery, scale and sustainability related to Microsoft cloud hardware. We are looking for seasoned engineers with a strong passion for customer focused solutions, insight and industry knowledge to envision and implement future technical solutions that will manage and optimize the Cloud infrastructure.
We are looking for a Manufacturing Engineer to join the team.
The Manufacturing Engineer role works with high volume assembly factories, hardware design teams, rack server integrators, Microsoft data centers to develop and improve manufacturing efficiencies by studying product design, manufacturing methods, and applying LEAN manufacturing principles. This role will also evaluate packaging design, manage package testing and assure compliance with internal and external requirements. Supporting manufacturing needs from prototypes to end of life. Mfg. Eng. may also be responsible for witnessing and executing power, power quality and thermal validation testing.
Manufacturing Engineering Job Duties:
- Evaluates manufacturing assembly processes by designing and conducting research programs; applying knowledge of product design, fabrication, assembly, tooling, and materials; conferring with equipment vendors; soliciting observations from operators.
- Develops manufacturing processes by studying product requirements; researching, designing, modifying, and testing manufacturing methods and equipment; conferring with equipment vendors.
- Responsible for working with various stakeholders in the design, validation and implementation of the building block (rack server) and associated components and spare parts, to include single and bulk packaging formats.
- Act as a technical consultant to the development process and drive best practices in the design and development of packaging for the servers and their components. Familiarity with industry practices on labeling and assure application of Microsoft’s labeling standards on packaging designs and specifications.
- Manage material properties, testing requirements, and performance metrics, collecting data for use in analytics and develop metrics with which to monitor and track packaging performance to standards.
- Work closely with NPI team to become the SME on all packaging design, documentation, tracking, quality, improvement, sustainability and distribution around product packaging for sku/part numbers, configurations, hazardous material documentation/certification for building block (rack server), associated components and spare parts.
- Improves factory efficiency by analyzing and planning work flow, space requirements, and equipment layout.
- Assures product and process quality by designing control systems, testing finished- product and process capabilities; establishing standards; confirming manufacturing processes.
- Provides manufacturing decision-making information by calculating production, labor, and material costs; reviewing production schedules; estimating future requirements.
- Prepares product and process reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Provides manufacturing engineering support by providing clear requirements and expectations.
- Maintains product and company reputation by complying with government regulations.
- Evaluating printed circuit board assembly and system assembly factories to ensure the correct control systems are in place to produce consistent quality and repeatable results.
- Work with Microsoft’s System Integrators to supervise and review (1) Power and Airflow Testing and (2) Power Quality Testing for MSFT cloud server infrastructure. The candidate will be qualifying hardware SKUs and systems to demonstrate how servers will operate under a range of conditions that would be expected throughout their useful life in a Microsoft data center.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Overall maximizing efficiencies and quality in every way.
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Manufacturing Product Engineering, or similar design experience
- 7+ years’ of experience in Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Manufacturing Product Engineering, or similar design experience
- Experience in systems hardware design and integration
- Experience with New Product Introduction process (NPI)
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Server Hardware, or equivalent, or data center server and rack hardware
- Bill’s of materials and change control
- Able to read mechanical drawings and specifications
- Self-motivated, detail oriented individual, must be able to work collaboratively in team environment and across internal divisions and industry (OEM, ODM)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge and experience with data center hardware products from component level to rack level items, and their packaging requirements
- Knowledge of server cooling design, power consumption, airflow and hands-on experience in power, airflow and power quality measurements
- Experience with packaging of servers, racks and related components
- Experience with industry standard benchmarks: SPEC power, IO-Meter, IPC, JEDEC
- Experience with Intel, AMD and ARM based hardware architecture
- Creo and Cadence Allegro software knowledge
- Data Center and Cloud Experience
- Experience is using OnePDM, Azure Dev Ops, PowerBI and other Microsoft enterprise applications
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.