PRINCIPAL HARDWARE ENGINEERING PROGRAM MANAGER
Location: Austin, Texas, Portland, Oregon, Redmond, Washington, Reston, Virginia, Sunnyvale, California
Job Type: Full time
Microsoft Cloud Hardware Infrastructure Engineering (CHIE) is looking for a Technical Program Manager to lead New Product Introduction (NPI) for Azure’s server platforms, cloud technologies and services. You will have the opportunity to build cross-team partnerships to transform new hardware concepts into the final, scalable solution to be introduced to Microsoft’s Cloud (‘Concept to Live’).
Microsoft Azure is experiencing explosive growth and innovation connecting people, services, and devices around the world. Do you want to be at the forefront of innovating the latest hardware designs to propel Microsoft’s cloud growth? Are you seeking a unique career opportunity that combines your cross-team collaboration and technical capabilities with business insight and strategy? As Microsoft's cloud business continues to grow the ability to deploy new hardware infrastructure on time, with high quality and in high volume is of paramount importance.
CHIE is the team behind Microsoft’s expanding Cloud Infrastructure and responsible for powering Microsoft’s “Intelligent Cloud” mission. CHIE delivers the core infrastructure and foundational technologies for Microsoft's 200+ online businesses including Office 365, Bing, Xbox Live, Teams, OneDrive and the Microsoft Azure cloud services, including AI, compute, storage and networking.
Successful candidates will have a proven capability for technical program management, strong organizational skills and experience leading culture and change management. This role requires someone who has a strategic mindset with a deep understanding of hardware development and manufacturing processes, as well as a bias for action and ability to partner successfully with a wide group of stakeholders, from senior leaders to individual contributors and support staff.
Come join this exciting and growing team on our monumental evolution of Azure cloud hardware and Microsoft!
#azurehwjobs #CHIE #NICE
- Lead a virtual team of functional leads including members from software and hardware engineering, supply chain, networking and datacenter operations for documenting a clear Plan-of-Record (POR) for the new product development and lead the project team to meet stated milestones. Be a cross-functional leader focused on long term objectives.
- Technical Program Management for new Cloud hardware development. Drive the development, planning & execution of a holistic cross functional product development and/or launch strategy. Provides technical leadership and identify technical risks.
- Collaborate with internal and external technology development partners to form a cohesive development plan.
- Have an in-depth understanding of the product technical requirements, milestones, deliverables and interdependencies for establishing an accurate and effective project infrastructure. Leverage experience and engineering skills to solve problems, fill gaps and achieve objectives through a cross functional team.
- Conduct risk management efforts in new product introduction, scenario planning and mitigation of risks; recovery from risks.
- Hold accountability for team and all portions of the work to deliver best in class architecture solutions
- Exemplary communication skills and able to represent project/team from business, technical and industry perspectives. Communicate to and regularly interact with senior management, highlighting risks across functional teams and providing recommendations to support product level decisions
- Operate effectively in ambiguity. Define and deliver process improvements across the organization(s) and apply process where it creates value, and design process where it’s needed. Recognize the situations where each approach is most appropriate.
- Accountable for managing risk and resource considerations within area of accountability
- Ensure cross functional alignment: generating clarity, tracking towards release milestones and overall readiness for all new Data Center infrastructure development, launch, and deployments.
- Coach others to push through barriers to find right solutions for the organization; Promote a learning culture
- Use program management tools and communication methods to ensure common understanding of program plan of record to stakeholders
- BS in Engineering preferably in Electrical Engineering/Computer Engineering/Mechanical Engineering or equivalent engineering experience.
- 10+ years of experience in a leadership role driving technical programs, products, or devices from definition through delivery. Manage complex project schedules, removing roadblocks and keeping processes running smoothly.
- 5+ years of experience providing communications and program updates at an executive level
- Master’s degree in engineering or related discipline
- Experience working in HW Infrastructure Engineering Groups or Supply Chain preferred
- Excellent technical design, problem solving, debugging and communication skills
- Demonstrated experience in shipping high quality products and services
- Ability to deal with ambiguity, assess opportunities and develop principles to prioritize multiple strategic and tactical options, and drive issues to closure with a high bar on quality
- Proven ability to work and collaborate with a wide range of business stakeholders to achieve results and impact
- Presentation skills with a high degree of comfort with both large and small audiences (Senior Executives, IT management, etc.)
- Knowledge of product related technologies
- Proven capabilities to drive positive business results by working across multiple organizations
- Extraordinary ability to build relationships and influence in a matrix organization
- Ability to partner closely with cross-functional teams to define, prioritize, and implement features, infrastructure, processes, and workflows.
- Ability to create and operationalize processes to transform the effectiveness of the organization with respect to meeting business goals. Coach, enable and grow Program Managers within the team and our partners.
- Can align key stakeholders, and manage projects through milestones to completion on schedule and in budget
- Highly effective written and oral communication skills. Present program plans and status to senior leadership
- Ability to monitor and measure engineering impact and performance results by tracking key performance indicators
- Self-motivated, driven individual who can work in a rapidly changing environment
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.