Account Technology Specialist
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, Austin, Texas, Baltimore, Maryland, Boston, Massachusetts, Charlotte, North Carolina, Chicago, Illinois, Cincinnati, Ohio, Dallas, Texas, Denver, Colorado, Detroit, Michigan, Houston, Texas, Indianapolis, Indiana, Kansas City, Missouri, Los Angeles, California, Louisville, Kentucky, Miami, Florida, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Minneapolis, Minnesota, Nashville, Tennessee, New York, New York, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Phoenix, Arizona, Portland, Oregon, Richmond, Virginia, San Diego, California, San Francisco, California, Seattle, Washington, St. Louis, Missouri, Tampa, Florida, Washington, District of Columbia
Job Type: Full time
Microsoft’s Enterprise Team focuses on empowering customers on their digital journey, from envisioning new possibilities to delivering solutions that result in targeted business outcomes and a great customer experience and revenue growth for Microsoft.
Account Technology Strategist (ATS)
The Account Technology Strategist is at the forefront of our digital transformation efforts for our enterprise customers. The ATS works exclusively to support the business of customers, map business scenarios to the technical foundation, understand and translate the customer priorities and desired outcomes, and orchestrate resources in the customer’s digital journey. ATS' technical acumen enables customers to do business in new disruptive ways. ATS drives the adoption of Microsoft Azure Cloud, Modern Workplace solutions, and Microsoft Dynamics 365. ATS is the owner of the IT Decision Maker (ITDM) relationship, and acts as a virtual CTO.
Microsoft’s mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. As employees we come together with a growth mindset, innovate to empower others and collaborate to realize our shared goals. Each day we build on our values of respect, integrity, and accountability to create a culture of inclusion where everyone can thrive at work and beyond.
We are currently looking for Account Technology Specialists to join our teams across various business groups, for varying customer sizes, in our enterprise, regulated, and partner services organizations. By applying to this role, you will be considered for multiple opportunities within Microsoft across the United States including locations beyond where the role is posted. This role is flexible in that you can work up to 50% from home. Travel percentages will very according to role.
Customer and Industry Insights
- Generates business insights based on knowledge of the customer's technology landscape, engagement experience, and proactive collaboration with the customer, internal teams, and industry, to conduct forecasting and develop recommendations for managing accounts. Challenges customers to consider alternative business models to meet business and market needs and adapts plans to insights.
- Orchestrates teams to gather information, collaborate on performance markers, and identify potential risks in customer accounts. Brings in business and industry insights to address the broader business challenges for the customer and deliver solutions.
- Applies expertise in customer businesses and technology platforms and maturity to build digital transformation (DT) strategy with the customer that is aligned to business outcomes. Challenges customers’ assumptions with constructive dialogue about their business and technology. Helps to create a board-ready message (e.g., sustainability) for customers' compliance alignment.
- Acts as the "virtual Chief Technical Officer (CTO)/Chief Digital Officer (CDO)" and supplements existing technical decision maker (TDM) and/or business decision maker (BDM) relationships with additional connections at the Chief Information Officer (CIO) or CIO direct-report level by researching organization charts, identifying and contacting TDMs/BDMs, and beginning to advise on solutions and position Microsoft capabilities to best meet the customer's needs. Leverages account information technology (IT), industry, and business strategy to provide coaching to internal Microsoft teams on customer technology profiles and strategies. Provides technical guidance to internal teams to position technology while using customer landscape knowledge.
- Proactively builds and maintains a strong knowledge of Microsoft's product landscape, solutions, and strategy in the industry of assigned accounts, as well as of the business priorities and potential threats the customers face. Leverages leaders from the partner ecosystem to bridge process gaps. Coordinates with internal industry experts (e.g., industry- solutions executives) to gather industry data of assigned accounts and improve planning. Demonstrates a strong understanding of the customers' business strategy and the direction of the industry.
- Acts as the voice of the customer, industry, and internal advocate by providing insights, feedback, and challenges from the customer to internal teams (e.g., product groups, engineers).
Technology Strategy Formulation
- Provides analysis of overall customer needs, outcomes, and potential blockers. Leverages understanding of business strategies and outcomes that technology can support to advise on gaps that would benefit from Microsoft solutions, and guides internal teams in overall strategy development (e.g., block identification, partner strategy) to identify and address gaps and drive end solutions.
- Ensures execution of technology strategy and/or digital transformation by identifying and resolving technical blockers that arise during strategy planning and implementation and driving technology adoption.
- Creates mid- to long-term (e.g., 12 or more months) technical and business roadmaps for one or more accounts, outlining the digital transformation journey and core wins. Updates and articulates business changes in the roadmaps around foundational, traditional capabilities. Builds technical engagement or enablement plan, captures baseline, and drives envisioning to support mid- to long-term business plans.
- Translates an understanding of the customer's business objectives and scenarios in conjunction with industry priority scenarios (IPS), Microsoft sales plays, and solution areas to develop technology architecture. Ensures that developed architecture influences cloud journey to position all Microsoft clouds and drive consumption, usage, and a higher share of customer potential and propensity (CPP).
Technology Sales: Demand Generation and Orchestration
- Identifies customer issues, creates demand, and identifies opportunities to uncover new solutions. Identifies and qualifies a set number of opportunities for product sales, solution sales, or consumption. Leverages partners to drive demand generation and capitalize on opportunities.
- Lead industry and digital transformation acceleration (IDTA) with the extended account team, customer and partner to deliver the outcomes for the customer through joint envisioning, as a vehicle for industry prioritized scenarios (IPSs), sales plays, and solution areas. Increases the number of successful engagements over time, managing engagement pipeline with extended team to maintain velocity, and unblocking issues.
Differentiated Value Proposition
- Leads new opportunities and orchestrates internal teams to accelerate the customer's digital transformation by understanding customer drivers of digital transformation, engaging with customers to lead strategic technology direction/transformation within assigned accounts, and ensuring line-of-business wins are captured (e.g., testimonials) for referencing.
- Drives conversations with enterprise customers that present the strategic relationship between Microsoft technologies, products, and services compared with the competitor's solution and the customer's overall business goals and objectives. Provides an outside-in perspective around compete or other solutions that are also a requirement for the customer.
Mapping and Account Planning
- Helps customer technical specialists build the message to sell Microsoft offerings to other parts of their business. Creates stakeholder maps for accounts, and determines, and orchestrates a coverage plan.
- Builds the bridge between customer business requirements and technology. Maps technical customer requirements and business scenarios to Microsoft technology platforms. Recognizes how technology platforms are evolving and orchestrates resources to deliver platforms that will ensure successful technology adoptions.
- Orchestrates internal teams and local partners to ensure sufficient technical resources for demand generation, when appropriate.
- Drives account planning for budgeting, quota attainment, consumption goals, and customer consumption gaps to inform quarterly and fiscal objectives. Coordinates extended account teams and drives forecasting and tracking of the business. Owns the technical portion of the account plans and leads the account plan delivery.
Education and Thought Leadership
- Influences customer technology engagement by engaging technical resources of customer, partner and Microsoft towards customer’s digital transformation (DT). Contributes to the delivery of regular (e.g., quarterly, monthly) industry/technology briefings to customer technology decision-makers and technical teams.
- Uses existing and new readiness resources to support enablement plans for customer technology adoption at the national and regional level. Contributes to innovations to accelerate meeting goals for customer capacity, maximize reach and impact, and drive long-term engagement and thought leadership on the Microsoft platform. Supports customer skilling initiatives and execution.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Engineering, or related field AND 4+ years technical consulting, technical consultative selling, business consulting, practice building, or related technical/sales experience.
- OR equivalent experience.
- 4+ years experience in relevant customer industry preferred.
- 4+ years experience in digital transformation or using technology to drive customer business outcomes preferred.
The salary range for this role in the state of Colorado is from $119,200 to $194,800.
At Microsoft certain roles are eligible for additional rewards, including annual bonus and stock. These awards are allocated based on individual performance. In addition, certain roles also have the opportunity to earn sales incentives based on revenue or utilization, depending on the terms of the plan and the employee’s role.
Benefits/perks listed here may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work. US-based employees gain access to healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan and company match, short-term and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance, and fitness benefits, among others.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.