Manager, Cloud Solution Architecture – Data & AI
Location: Austin, Texas, Chicago, Illinois, Dallas, Texas, Denver, Colorado, Fargo, North Dakota, Houston, Texas, Los Angeles, California, Phoenix, Arizona, San Diego, California, San Jose, California, Seattle, Washington
Job Type: Full time
The Small, Medium, and Corporate team helps businesses achieve their digital transformation and business goals by helping customers with Microsoft solutions and partners. Located in either a Digital Sales center, or a local subsidiary, you will help our managed and scale customers across industries, company sizes and territories to identify their needs and opportunities using the latest in digital selling technology including big data and analytics. One of the fastest growing customer segments in the industry, you will help customers realize value from the Microsoft Cloud across customer solution areas like Modern Work, Security, Business Applications, Infrastructure, Data and AI, and Application Innovation.
Microsoft aspires to help our customers achieve their own digital transformation, leveraging the power of Microsoft Cloud solutions and services. To this end, Microsoft has invested in Digital Cloud Solution Architects that will help the largest and most important companies in the world across all industries successfully adopt Microsoft Cloud solution and services. We are looking for a talented individual to lead a team of deeply technical Data Platform & Advanced Analytics/Artificial Intelligence and/or Application and Infrastructure Cloud Solution Architects (CSA) to drive growth of Azure Services for a set of managed accounts across different industries.
As a Cloud Solution Architect Manager you will run a team of people who enable customers to achieve their outcomes, based on their investments in Microsoft technology. Your experience in leading technical teams will allow you to coach the team to ensure customers get value from their Microsoft investments
This opportunity will allow you to accelerate your career growth, honing your solution sales and collaboration skills, and deepening your cloud expertise. This role is flexible in that you can work up to 100% from home.
Microsoft’s mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. As employees we come together with a growth mindset, innovate to empower others and collaborate to realize our shared goals. Each day we build on our values of respect, integrity, and accountability to create a culture of inclusion where everyone can thrive at work and beyond.
- Managers deliver success through empowerment and accountability by modeling, coaching, and caring.
- Model - Live our culture; Embody our values; Practice our leadership principles.
- Coach - Define team objectives and outcomes; Enable success across boundaries; Help the team adapt and learn.
- Care - Attract and retain great people; Know each individual’s capabilities and aspirations; Invest in the growth of others.
Scale Customer Engagements
- Identifies and engages with customer technical decision makers and influencers proactively while engaging sales team and delivering/driving sales strategy.
- Uses knowledge of customer context, cross-solution or portfolio expertise, and deep technical and market/industry knowledge to build credibility with customers individually or at scale.
- Leads and ensures complex technical wins (e.g., cross-workload, cross-team, cross-geography, subsidiary-level impact) by establishing rules of engagement (e.g., role boundaries, handoff strategies), coaching others (e.g., technical sellers, account teams), leveraging knowledge of processes (e.g., Managed Service Provider, co-sell partners), tools, and programs (e.g., FastTrack, End Customer Investment Funds). Ensures and drives alignment of Microsoft technologies with future sector standards and requirements by working with industry boards and driving customer case studies and references.
- Leverages knowledge of resources (e.g., roles, Microsoft Technology Center, demo sites, virtual sites) and proactively engages product and support teams (e.g., engineering) to remediate escalated technical blockers by conveying impact and anticipating and addressing future potential blockers based on needs. Ensures that non-technical issues are routed and removed by appropriate party.
- Ensures consistency and quality through adherence of standards and best practices (e.g., Managed Service Provider, Managed Certified Professional) in customer engagements by holding team accountable.
- Orchestrates team resources and coaches team to maximize impact of customer engagements through capacity planning, prioritization, capabilities assessment, and utilization of resources. Prioritizes resources and holds team accountable for maximizing selling time to achieve scorecard objectives and subsidiary strategy.
Scale Through Partners
- Scales wins through partner in a sell-with environment by promoting the partner within the Microsoft ecosystem (e.g., account teams) and drives the orchestration model for partner engagement at scale.
- Coaches team in working with account teams to shape strategic win plan and tailor Microsoft messaging to audience using knowledge of customer feedback, specific Microsoft solutions, and their context in a competitive landscape. Ensures team is equipped to execute compete strategy, collaborating with cross-functional groups as needed.
- Coaches team and oversees demonstrations (e.g., Architectural Design Sessions, Proof of Concept sessions) of solutions and position solutions against competitors through initial engagements. Ensures demonstrations enable customers to identify and resolve technical issues with clear criteria and next steps that guarantee deployment of Microsoft technology. Guides team on Microsoft standards on demonstrations to provide feedback to partners.
- Monitors, analyzes, and provides input on proactive action plans to promote customer usage of key/prioritized Microsoft solutions/products that support customer’s business outcomes. Identifies opportunities to promote usage.
Architecture Design and Deployment
- Applies broad technical, industry, and enterprise knowledge to architecture projects to meet business and Information Technology requirements and resolve identified constraints. helps to shape and enhance customers' requirements. Coaches team on right use of Pilots and Proof of Concepts.
- Adapts methodology and applies governance to identify, communicate, and/or minimize business and/or technical risks, defines customer/partner conditions of success, adheres to quality assurance, and calculates risks whilst designing and/or delivering solutions.
Driving Customer Success
- Coaches team to build customer timelines and utilizes them to build industry/team plan. aligns multiple engagement plans and leverages corporate resources dedicated to awareness improvement of high potentials (e.g., Skills Learning platform).
- Supports the Voice of the Customer through escalation, acceleration, and additional emphasis of feedback, blockers, insights, resources, etc. (e.g., OneList) as needed. Drives behavior of team in support of the customer.
- Builds and leads strategic conversation between Microsoft cloud solutions, partner, customer business, and Information Technology objectives. Participates in Microsoft centric operations and cadences to align with customers as needed. Acts as a go-to resource for customer success.
- Contributes to and holds team accountable to rhythm of business. Represents high potential and sub-area initiatives (e.g., acceleration plans, scorecard). Drives One Microsoft mindset. Aligns technical resources to customer and customer cases based on account planning and priorities, with the flexibility to realign to minimize orchestration and enable proactive engagements as needed.
- Builds readiness plans for peers and proactively identifies gaps and new opportunities for learning. Identifies connections across platforms/workloads to promote collaborative learning.
- Fosters community sharing of stories and leveraging of pre-existing resources by encouraging and empowering team to share learnings and by establishing a cadence (e.g., internal technical brainstorming calls, presenting latest challenges in staff meetings) to calibrate on challenges and trends that impact the team
- Monitors, responds to, and acts as a thought leader on internal and external tech community posts, establishes and leads vibrant tech communities including community calls, sessions, hackathon, etc. and acts as a mentor to the community.
- Ensures customer cloud platform enablement by ensuring coverage of entire customer portfolio, ensuring customer proficiency, and orchestrating across multiple function to ensure basic operational foundations in place. Ensures customers have training plans developed by Cloud Solutions Architects (CSAs). Reviews training plans and provides feedback to CSAs as necessary.
- 5+ years technical architect, technical consulting, design and implementation, and/or technical sales experience
- OR relevant certifications from Microsoft or competitive platforms AND 3+ years technical architect, technical consulting, design and implementation, and/or technical sales experience
- OR Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology (IT), Engineering, or related field AND 4+ years technical architect, technical consulting, design and implementation, and/or technical sales experience
- OR equivalent experience.
- Understanding in cloud computing technologies, platforms, business drivers, and emerging computing trends
- Experience in consultative technical selling approach, including bringing innovative ideas to customer problems
- Experience and passion for learning (technical and professional skills); implementing practices from others; trying, failing, and learning from experiences; sharing practices and knowledge with others for their benefit
Additional or Preferred Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology (IT), Engineering, or related field AND 7+ years technical architect, consulting, design, and implementation, and/or sales experience
- OR equivalent experience.
- 1+ year(s) people management experience.
- Technical architect, consulting, design, and implementation and/or technical sales experience in 2 or more of the following data solution areas:
- Relational Databases
- NoSQL Databases
- Big Data Analytics
- Data Visualization
- Data Governance
- Machine Learning
- Artificial Intelligence
- Strong negotiation, organizational, presentation, technical product demo, and written and verbal communication skills to influence key technical decision makers, influencers, senior executives, industry decision makers, and/or boards
- Success-driven, work well in a diverse team, and enjoy a dynamic and changing environment
The salary for this role in the state of Colorado is between $129,800 - $194,800.
At Microsoft, certain roles are eligible for additional rewards, including annual bonus and stock. These awards are allocated based on individual performance. In addition, certain roles also have the opportunity to earn sales incentives based on revenue or utilization, depending on the terms of the plan and the employee’s role.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed here may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work. US-based employees gain access to healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan and company match, short-term and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance, and fitness benefits, among others.