Location: Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
Are you passionate about defining the future of personal computing? Do you have the passion and experience to build and lead a new engineering team to deliver a new set of cloud experiences that will expand the reach of Windows?
The newly formed Windows Incubation team is chartered to build a new direction for Windows in a cloud first world. It starts with working back from the emerging needs of cloud information workers that need a fast, secure, and always connected experience to stay productive. We will create a new Windows experience that combines the speed and ease of use of the Web with the power of Windows 365 for more compute resources on demand. Our work will lead the next wave of cloud innovation for Windows, from defining a new hybrid app model that can scale from local to cloud compute, to building a Web-based shell with direct integration with Windows 365. The building blocks we create will chart a new direction for the experience and business model of Windows – from low-cost PCs powered through advertising and subscriptions, to new direct-to-cloud hardware devices across work and life.
Our team is looking for an exceptional Software Developer to join a team to create a new Web-based Shell and interaction model to power this vision. You will work on the latest innovations in modern Web programming, cloud computing, and open source to take new experiences from prototyping to production. You will partner with Product Management and Design to ideate and create prototypes to validate early thinking and use on-going customer data and research to validate your ideas. You will work in a fast-paced startup environment, collaborating with the best engineers in the industry to work on hard engineering challenges, as we are building our team and product from the ground up.
If you thrive on tackling big technical challenges and want to create a new future for the Web and Windows at Microsoft, contact us!
- Collaborate with your team and key partners across Microsoft to architect, design, and build a new Web-based Shell for Windows.
- Partner with Product Management and Design to define business, quality, and experience outcomes and goals that define what you need to build.
- Demonstrate engineering excellence through commitment to quality execution, continued improvement, and customer empathy.
- Be a self-starter in defining detailed execution plans and holding yourself accountable for delivering results.
- Use your creativity to tackle hard, ambiguous problems in innovative ways.
- Contribute to a team environment that promotes inclusion and collaboration.
- BS degree in CS or related engineering field or equivalent experience/education.
- 2+ years of experience of building large-scale, modular systems for the Web. Including unit and end-to-end testing in browser-based environments.
- Established track record of shipping fast, high quality, high customer satisfaction experiences using HTML, CSS, TypeScript, and modern component-oriented Web libraries (e.g. Angular, FAST, Lit, Svelte, Vue).
- Excellent written and verbal communication/presentation skills through all levels of the organization, technical and non‐technical.
- Experience with Web components is a plus.
- Experience with Web standards and meeting WCAG 2.1 Accessibility guidelines is a plus.
- Experience with open-source development is a plus.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.