Software Engineer II
Location: Bellevue, Washington
Job Type: Full time
Does pioneering new and innovative ways to collect and showcase key customer data sound exciting to you? Are you passionate about data and do you feel we have been missing the opportunity to be more data-informed at Microsoft? Do you want to contribute to an effort that is one of the most critical for the future success of Microsoft, E+D and SCI? If so, the Insights, Data Engineering & Analytics (IDEAs) team might be an excellent place for you to grow your career. M365 together with SCI is at the core of our Company’s mission to enable people and organizations to achieve more. Be part of the team building platform services handling millions of users and exabytes of data. This is not just some large-scale web service: the implementation ranks among the world’s largest and state of the art distributed systems, spanning across data centers around the world. The Insights, Data Engineering & Analytics team’s goal is to champion a data-informed culture; to inspire and enable the entire E+D organization to make more informed decisions through data. We see this effort as a huge opportunity in providing information to the organization that will improve efficiency, empowerment, and help Microsoft win in the critical cloud business sector.
As part of our team, you would be responsible for the technical leadership and end-to-end development of the data solutions that will help E+D and SCI gain the strategic insights we need to deliver the most optimal user experience and to quickly adapt to market conditions that are constantly evolving. You will also apply your engineering and analytical skills to petabyte scale data problems using the latest and most modern data analytics technologies on an ever-increasing number of data signals produced by the different products part of the M365 suite and our partners across the company. In this position you will face tough engineering challenges every day as we deal with very large, disparate and usually complex data sets as we aim to provide an efficient and reliable platform for data wrangling and curation. The integration of different data democratization and visualization techniques will also enable us to extract even the most deeply embedded insights from this data to then make those insights readily available to everyone in our organization, affording them the flexibility of analyzing said data in a self-service manner.
- 2 or more years’ experience in software engineering, programming or development.
- Software programming experience in C#, Java, or C++.
- Bachelor’s degree required: BSCS or higher strongly preferred.
- Experience working and building distributed cloud services using Azure or related technology stacks.
- Experience with Azure Data Factory, Cosmos, Kusto, Spark, Kafka and other big-data related technology stacks.
- Experience of software testing/release processes and methodologies.
- Prior knowledge of ETL/ELT, Data Modeling, and BI systems.
- Strong background in math and statistics.
- Proven design and analytical skills, with a strong bias for engineering excellence at scale. Functional knowledge of cloud computing and online services business models, including business, technical, and operational metrics.
- Strong background in data warehouse principles, architecture, design and its implementation at large scale.
- Excellent customer service, verbal and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to operate effectively and independently in a dynamic, fluid environment.
- Ability to learn and grasp concepts quickly in a fast-paced environment.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.