Technical Lighting Artist – Turn 10 Studios
Location: Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
Turn 10 Studios has an exciting opportunity for a technical lighting artist to work alongside the team responsible for creating the top-selling and critically acclaimed Forza Motorsport franchise. A technical lighting artist is a key production conduit between our content lighting artists and our rendering engineers. We are looking for a passionate team member who will work closely with those two teams to help us build cutting-edge visuals that are driven through real-time graphics and technologies that lead our industry. This is an important role that provides the ideal candidate with an opportunity to be responsible for the technical implementation of lighting techniques to help us create a state-of-the-art product.
Job Description: Responsibilities
- Implement real-time game lighting using a variety of lighting techniques (pre-baked, dynamic real-time, light probe transfer / PRT)
- Primary support agent for the content team members; support for all core production lighting tasks from pre-production to final polish
- Lead the development of lighting tools and workflow in collaboration with lighting lead and engineering teams
- Continuously assess and clearly communicate potential concerns and blockers with engineering, tools and other development teams
- Work with engineering and tools team to optimize for scalable performance, simplify lighting workflows while still pushing the boundaries of visual quality
- Collaborate with a mix of production disciplines throughout the studio to (Tools, Gameplay, Design, Concept, VFX, and Environment) to collaboratively help develop areas of our game from early prototype, through to final polish and optimization
- Help to build our internal technical arts community by encouraging artistic development, showcasing workflows, artistic techniques, providing quality feedback, and mentoring other artists on the team.
- Actively improve skillset by staying on top of industry trends and techniques, new software, and product evaluation
- Should have 3-5 years of professional experience in a lighting/look development role in games
- Experience with physically based lighting and shading strategies is required
- Experience with Autodesk 3DS Max required, other modeling packages also desired.
- Experience working with lighting elements, emissives, materials, shaders, and luminance values in a game environment required
- Experience with core applications such as Lightroom, Resolve, Photoshop, Substance Designer, Unreal Engine is highly preferred
- Experience with offline renderers such as V-Ray, MentalRay, Blender, or Renderman required
- Demo reel/portfolio must demonstrate a firm understanding of lighting and color theory
- Must be responsive to deadlines and work well under pressure
- Demo reel should include samples of work and an exact breakdown of your specific contribution to the material submitted along with resume featuring references.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.