Sr. Security Software Engineering Manager
Location: Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
The mission of Microsoft Digital Security & Resilience (DSR) is to enable Microsoft to build the most trusted devices and services, while keeping our company safe and our data protected. As part of the Microsoft Security organization, and a steward of Microsoft and our customer’s data, a core function of Microsoft DSR is ensuring the security of every aspect of the business. Microsoft DSR is responsible for company-wide information security and compliance, with a strategic focus on information protection, assessment, awareness, governance, and enterprise business continuity. As customer zero, we deploy and secure these services inside Microsoft and then share best practices with enterprise customers at scale across the globe. We have exciting opportunities for you to innovate, influence, transform, inspire, and grow within our organization and we encourage you to apply to learn more!
The Microsoft Cyber Orchestration DevOps (CODE) team is looking for a talented Security Software Engineering Manager with a passion for security automation to join our team. We build and operate security services within Microsoft to provide automation for company-wide security monitoring. We support the DSR Security Operations Center (SOC), Insider Threat, HUNT, and Incident Response teams by automating complex investigation and response actions across each team’s scope of work. Our platforms operate as custom investigation and response SOAR technology that the team builds in collaboration with Microsoft security products. As part of this team, you will collaborate with partner security teams within the Microsoft Cyber Defense Operations Center (CDOC) and Microsoft security product groups to improve our security posture.
We have exciting opportunities for you to innovate, influence, transform, inspire, and grow within our organization and we encourage you to apply to learn more!
A successful Manager in this role is someone who
- Embraces the cultural values of inclusion and belonging and feels empowered to
- Coach – Works with each person on their team to help them to do their best work and grow. Defines and foster an identity for the team that includes a reputation for high quality, reliability, and inclusivity. Define the business goals for the team then create and execute on a plan to meet those goals.
- Collaborate – Strives to understand the motivations and goals of the teams we’re working with and work towards a better-together collaborative solution.
- Successfully leads and grows a team of engineers to deliver high business impact projects on-time with high quality.
- Provides hands-on technical leadership: architecture, design, code reviews, development, quality assurance and live site management.
- Hires and retains top talent.
- Fosters a healthy and inclusive team environment.
- Has strong Coding, Design and Test skills.
- Has strong collaboration skills and stellar project management skills. Should be able to clearly define scope of work in the immediate problem space and define crisp accountabilities between teams.
- Successfully leads & manages a team that builds full-stack services to automate security operations, investigation & response work
- Plan long-term security automation service development & project work
- Collaborate with internal partner security teams to define shared objectives & goals
- Support automation team members with guidance on writing secure code & creating secure & fault-tolerant infrastructure design
Knowledge, experience, and skills:
- 3+ years of experience as an Engineering Manager
- 2+ years of experience working on cloud application development (Azure, AWS, or other cloud platform) and in application security, or in developing secure software & infrastructure
- 2+ years of experience working with relational database platforms (MS SQL Server, MySQL, etc.)
- Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written
Preferred, not required:
- Experience in Security Operations, Incident Response, SIEM, XDR and Threat Intelligence
- Experience with cyber security technologies, protocols, applications
- Integration of platforms into SIEM, XDR, SOAR and/or API’s
- Understanding of security frameworks (MITRE ATT&CK, NIST CSF, etc.)
- Prior experience as a SOC/IR analyst or engineer
- Experience with building & deploying full-stack software systems
- Experience with creating & maintaining CI/CD pipelines
- Experience with Agile software development
- Systemic problem-solving approach
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.