Principal Software Engineer
Location: Austin, Texas
Job Type: Full time
Microsoft is a company where passionate innovators come to collaborate, envision what can be and take their careers to levels they cannot achieve anywhere else. This is a world of more possibilities, more innovation, more openness, and the sky is the limit thinking in a cloud-enabled world.
Microsoft’s Intelligence Platform engineering team is leading the transformation of analytics in the world of data with products like Power BI, Synapse Analytics, Azure Data Factory, Azure Data Explorer. We will bring the world’s data to the Microsoft Cloud, power a new class of data first applications, and empower everyone on the planet to make better decisions with data.
We do not just value differences or different perspectives. We seek them out and invite them in so we can tap into the collective power of everyone in the company. As a result, our ideas are better, our products are better, and our customers are better served.
Analytics. We provide a range of products that enable data engineers and data scientists to extract intelligence from all data – structured, semi-structured, and unstructured. We are in the process of integrating our disparate products into Azure Synapse Analytics with a set of experiences that are meant to simplify and accelerate time to value.
Software engineers in the team get to work on the latest technology in compute and storage, applying innovative algorithms to solve database problems at scale with great performance. We need collaborative team members who think big and want a challenge.
- Design, code, test, and develop features with good quality, maintainability, and end to end ownership
- Be part of the on-call rotation for maintaining service health
- Mentor new and junior engineers to bring them up to speed in software development environment.
- Invest in code health/refactoring efforts to improve our ability to execute on shipping software to meet customer needs in a timely manner
- Design and develop highly efficient code that scales to allow queries to run efficiently over very large data volumes.
- Bachelor’s/Master’s with 10+ years of work experience in building database engines or related systems programming fields (operating systems, hardware-level programming).
- 8+ years of programming experience in C++, C# or Java.
- Strong technical background in algorithms (Big-O complexity analysis)
- Unmanaged language expertise strongly preferred.
- Good understanding of database system internals
- Ability to do performance analysis/improvements on multi-threaded server software
- Experience in building and shipping production grade software or services.
- Results-oriented with a passion for delighting customers with our work
- Ability to work collaboratively, solve programs in groups, and celebrate success as a team
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.