Principal Software Engineering Manager - Azure Lab Services
Location: Austin, Texas
Job Type: Full time
Do you see yourself as a coach, a collaborator, and a customer-focused engineer? Would you be excited to build technology to revolutionize education industry in providing hands on learning platform to millions of students? Do you care deeply about building and fostering a great team? We’re looking for talented engineering manager to help us build the next generation of Azure Classroom Labs Offering. For more information see Lab Services | Microsoft Azure
We looking for an Engineering Manager who embraces the cultural values of inclusion and belonging and feels empowered to coach (work with every person in your team to help them do their best work and grow), guide (define business goals for the team, then create and execute on a plan to meet those goals), collaborate (Strive to understand the motivations and goals of the teams we’re working with), and engineer (you care deeply about simplicity, availability, resilience, latency, scalability and cost of the service we are running).
For this role, we’re looking for someone with experience building large scale and resilient services and APIs. As a manager, you will be building the team ground-up and you’ll get to immerse yourself in cutting edge technology with the team and influence the huge business opportunity that lies ahead, for this team.
- You’ll be a model guide for an engineering team that will develop and manage large scale, distributed communication applications and services.
- You’ll be working with a team of local and remote engineers to help them succeed.
Provide hands-on technical leadership: architecture, design, code reviews, development, quality assurance, observability, and live site.
- Work with Program Management to influence business strategy.
- Build strong relationships with partners within Microsoft and external to bring innovation to new and existing products.
- Foster a culture of inclusivity and disciplined software engineering practices to deliver business value, guided by data.
- Hire and retain top talent.
- Lead the team with a growth mindset and model a diverse and inclusive environment.
- Design and develop large scale distributed software services and solutions.
- Adhere to and drive modern software engineering practices through design and code reviews.
- System design through well-defined interfaces across multiple components, code reviews, leveraging data/telemetry to make decisions.
- Develop “best-in-class” engineering for our services by ensuring that the services and the components are well-defined and modularized, secure, reliable, diagnosable, actively monitored and reusable.
- Improve test coverage for services, organize and implement integration tests, and resolve problem areas.
- Consider testability, portability/monitoring, reliability, and maintainability, and understand when code is ready to be shared and delivered.
- Gain a working understanding of Microsoft as a business and collaborate with mentors and leaders in order to contribute to cohesive, end-to-end experiences for our users.
- Focus on customer/partner needs through a data driven approach.
- 8+ years of industry experience developing enterprise grade software.
- 5+ years experience building applications and services in the Cloud. Familiarity with Microsoft Azure stack is helpful, but not required.
- 3+ years of experience leading engineering teams, delivering high quality software for customers.
- Ability to communicate technical details clearly across organizational boundaries.
- Experience in DevOps to maintain live services and\or application frameworks.
- Cloud and services experience, with Azure cloud experience highly desirable.
- Excellent analytical skills with systematic and structured approach to software design.
- Passion for building highly scalable, highly reliable services.
- Experience with or exposure to Agile and iterative development processes.
- Experience/background in the education space is a big plus.
- Growth Mindset with a desire to learn, a tendency to embrace challenges, persist in the face of setback, see failures as essential to mastery, learn from criticism and find lessons and inspiration in the success of others.
- Help to create a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone can bring their full and authentic self, where all voices are heard, and where we do our best work as a result.
- Confident and articulate in expressing ideas to a mixed audience with varying views and challenges.
- A sense of personal ownership and accountability is required, together with the ability to deliver to deadlines while managing internal stakeholder expectations.
- Self-motivated with a strong drive for reaching across teams and organizations to make progress collaboratively.
- Believe that a team working well together is truly smarter than the single smartest person on that team.
- Aspire to grow as a person, as a teammate, and as an engineer and help others grow.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
DDJL #Austinjobs #Texasjobs
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.