Datacenter Project Manager - IT/Network
Location: Boydton, Virginia
Job Type: Full time
In alignment with our Microsoft values, we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment for all employees to positively impact our culture every day and we need you as a Datacenter Project Manager (DCPM).
Microsoft’s Cloud Operations & Innovation (CO+I) is the engine that powers our cloud services. As a CO+I DCPM, you will perform a key role in delivering the core infrastructure and foundational technologies for Microsoft's online services including Bing, Office 365, Xbox, OneDrive, and the Microsoft Azure platform. As a group, CO+I is focused on the personal and professional development for all employees and offers trainings and growth opportunities including Career Rotation Programs, Diversity & Inclusion trainings and events, and professional certifications.
Our infrastructure is comprised of a large global portfolio of more than 100 datacenters and 1 million servers. Our foundation is built upon and managed by a team of subject matter experts working to support services for more than 1 billion customers and 20 million businesses in over 90 countries worldwide.
With environmental sustainability and optimization at the forefront of our datacenter design and operations, we continue to grow and evolve as we meet the ever-changing business demands that hold Microsoft as a world-class cloud provider.
Do you want to empower billions across the world? Come and join us in CO+I and be at the forefront of the action!
As a Datacenter Project Manager, your success will be measured by:
Data Center Operations
- Ensure compliance with data center business units and service-level policies.
- Engage with appropriate teams and resources to execute tasks or projects.
- Manage programs associated with area of responsibility.
- Demonstrate conscientiousness on cost adheres to budget requirements; keep costs reasonable and contribute to staying within budget.
- Follow and adhere to safety and security policies and procedures. Report immediately any safety or security issues or concerns.
- Participate in Root Cause Analysis (RCA) process as appropriate.
- Perform troubleshooting for service incidents and escalates, as appropriate, to meet SLA/OLAs, with minimal disruption to the client/customer and business.
- Learn the customer's business and maintain a strong customer focus.
- Manage the assigned projects or programs to meet service delivery objectives and escalate to appropriate stakeholders to remove obstacles.
- Recognize potential customer impact of other events and issues (e.g., customer lockdown), communicate potential impact, and plan for impact accordingly.
- Proactively review schedules and avoid conflicts when possible. Identify, coordinate, manage expectations, and offer alternatives when defining customer solutions.
- Manage relationships with clients and suppliers to ensure that all expectations are clarified, understood, documented, and met.
Data Center Work Environment
- Share best practices; assist others in learning role, process, procedures.
- Provide mentorship across data centers for specific expertise.
- Seek training opportunities that meet the interest of the business as well as own career goals and objectives.
- Suggest ways for reducing risk of performing maintenance; work with others to accommodate scheduling needs.
- Suggest improvements in implementation based on depth of understanding.
- Contribute to a positive team environment by learning and adopting best practices.
- Contribute constructively during team meetings and in cross-discipline collaborations within the service team.
- Recognize priority of team success over individual achievement.
- Collaborate and negotiate effectively with others and seek guidance from management to identify delegates to deliver results.
- In alignment with management priorities, hold self accountable for the end-to-end service quality, completeness, and resulting customer experience (including but not limited to availability, safety, security, customer service). Support escalation of issues to appropriate owner.
Microsoft reviews all applications that meet the below Required Qualifications.
For this role, you are welcome to apply if you meet the following Required Qualifications:
- High School Diploma or equivalent AND 1+ years industry experience
- OR 2+ years industry experience and college course work.
While not required, we also look for the following Preferred Qualifications:
- 2+ years’ experience in Critical Environment infrastructures (e.g., UPS, Generator, AHU) or working in physical IT infrastructures (e.g., Servers, SANs, Networking, Capacity, DC Rack/Enclosures, structured cabling).
- Technical College degree in Computer Science, Math, Telecommunications, Electrical/Mechanical Engineering, or related field.
- Applicable certifications: ASICS/Inventory Control, CompTIA, Microsoft, Network Certifications, PMP, ITIL, CDCP.
Background Check Requirements:
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
- Citizenship Verification: This position requires verification of US Citizenship to meet federal government security requirements.
- Criminal Justice Information Services: This position may require passing a background check conducted through the CJIS criminal justice information system by authorized local, state, and/or federal agencies.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.