Technical Support Engineering IC4
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
Job Type: Full time
Microsoft is on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Our culture is centered on embracing a growth mindset, a theme of inspiring excellence, and encouraging teams and leaders to bring their best each day. In doing so, we create life-changing innovations that impact billions of lives around the world. You can help us to achieve our mission.
With over 15,000 employees worldwide, the Microsoft Customer Experience and Success (CEnS) organization is responsible for the strategy, design, and implementation of the Microsoft end-to-end customer experience. This newly expanded organization reflects the Microsoft ambition to be known as a customer experience company, ensuring our Microsoft mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more is enabled by delighting customers and consistently exceeding their expectations in every interaction through a connected customer experience.
Microsoft has a tremendous opportunity to exceed customer expectations and drive greater customer loyalty and trust, which leads to greater satisfaction, retention, and growth. The CEnS organization is looking for people with a passion for delivering customer success to help us build a future where customers come to us, not only because we provide industry-leading products and services, and also because we provide a differentiated and connected customer experience that is rooted in our commitment to delivering on customer outcomes.
Support Engineers (SE) serve as frontline technical resources for Microsoft customers and partners via phone, email or web. They deliver unique value by collaboratively and reactively solving customer problems, providing proactive support advice, contributing to product quality and enhancements and creating self-help assets to broadly reach more customers. You will be part of a team responsible for providing an outstanding technical support experience to our business customers. From problem identification to full resolution, you will own and manage the customer experience over the phone and Web. When needed, you will collaborate with others to engage subject matter experts, Engineering (Product Groups) or Management. Your day to day job will be about providing both technical expertise (either on your own or by involving your colleagues) and about being an excellent communicator and a service oriented professional. You will be given the opportunity to become a subject matter expert in one or more areas and receive guidance and mentorship from your colleagues.
Response and Resolution:
- Reviews complex issues (e.g., multiple components of a product) and contacts customers to understand issue. Ensures customers stay informed as to the status/solution of their issue. Utilizes troubleshooting tools (e.g., event logs, performance traces) to help resolve customer issues.
- Acts as an advisor to the customer and handles complex, repeatable, or escalated cases that may become politically charged. Creates technical articles or knowledge base (e.g., edits or creates news/ knowledge-base articles) that is internal or customer facing for better customer understand. Provides best practices and education to ensure customer understands the problem in order to proactively resolve potential issues in the future.
- Performs complex product troubleshooting and remediation when needed. Works alongside the development teams to drive incident resolution for configuration, code, or other service deficiencies impacting customers. Analyzes patterns of problems and identifies workflows to optimize support engineering delivery for a team or region level.
- Collaborates on cross-team and cross-product technical issues by working with resources from other groups including support engineering groups, product groups, services team, and account team as needed to resolve complex customer issues.
- Implements end-to-end readiness programs (e.g., mentoring, leading triages, content creation, brown bag sessions, blogs, quality assurance checks, writes technical articles) and contributes to the content and readiness strategy. Mentors Technical Support Engineers or members from other teams outside of Customer Service and Support (CSS). Develops expert level competence on support topics.
- Provides feedback to more senior engineers or serviceability team on functionality of products based on engagements with customers. Provides feedback to the product group for product improvement. Leverages overall product knowledge to determine if and when features require enhancements.
- Engages with engineering team to investigate product bugs, provides business impact, and collaborates with appropriate stakeholders and senior team members on fixes.
- Contributes to and/or develops automation techniques and diagnostic tools to improve cross-group effectiveness.
- Translates feedback and creates processes and workflows for case resolution.
- Participates in case triage meetings and/or case discussions to share knowledge with other engineers and contribute to more rapid customer solutions. Utilizes learnings from triage meetings to identify and communicate readiness needs to manager or readiness team.
- Implements strategic business decisions with customers, partners, and teams to increase market share. Influences peers to implement strategy.
- 5+ years technical support, technical consulting experience, or information technology experience
- OR Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology (IT), or related field AND 3+ years technical support, technical consulting experience, or information technology experience.
4+ years’ experience supporting enterprise customers in any of the AD related topics:
Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS)
DNS Configuration, Management, and Active Directory Integration
Authentication including Kerberos and NTLM
Certificate Services and Certificate Based Authentication (PKI)
Group Policy Deployment, Management, and Troubleshooting
Additional Experience in one or more of these technologies
Distributed File System Replication (DFSR)
User Profile Management
Windows Time Synchronization
Remote Desktop Services Configuration and Management
Hyper-V management and VM deployment
Network Tracing and Analysis
Remote File Systems (SMB)
Advanced Windows Troubleshooting Including Perfmon and
Your shift can vary according to business needs. Examples: Monday to Friday, any working hours from 6am to 6pm Pacific Time, or weekend coverage depending upon business needs. Please note that shifts might change according to business needs. Though schedule changes are not frequent, you will need to have flexibility to accommodate changes as needed. This position may require you to work a rotational On-Call schedule, evenings, weekends and holiday shifts.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.