In-Market Product Safety Incident Investigation Engineer
Location: Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
Microsoft’s devices: Surface Laptops, 2-in-1s, Xbox consoles, PC accessories, and the HoloLens AR headsets, generate magical experiences for millions of users every day. The Microsoft Devices Product Safety team partners with consumer product hardware development organizations across Microsoft, providing guidance and oversight during the design, validation, and mass production of devices. This team assures we are making sure our products safe and meet or exceed all applicable regulatory safety requirements, while keeping a close eye on the marketplace for signals of possible safety concerns.
As Product Safety In-Market Monitoring Lead, you will be part investigator, part program manager, and part advocate of both our customers and our products. You will partner with Consumer and Commercial Customer Support teams, retailers, authorized repair providers, and internal legal teams to investigate product safety allegations involving our products. You will report to the Senior Director of Product Safety in the Reliability, Device Analysis, Environmental Compliance, and Safety group. This opportunity will allow you to expand your experience in product safety and project management, customer support, and compliance processes. You will be based in Redmond, WA and will have flexibility of working from home or in the office. Occasional domestic and international travel might be required (15%).
Microsoft’s mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more, and we’re dedicated to this mission across every aspect of our company. Our culture is centered on embracing a growth mindset and encouraging teams and leaders to bring their best each day. Join us and help shape the future of the world.
- Support monitoring and reporting processes for safety allegations received from a variety of sources including, but not limited to, customer support, online retailers, and social media.
- Review assigned cases using internal databases and provide guidance on response and handling to stakeholders
- Provide support to internal stakeholders during regular report meetings and escalations
- Support response to regulatory agency inquiries
- Monitor case backlog and KPIs for early signs of deviation and alert rest of the team
- Maintain internal SOPs up to date and provide training to other internal and external teams
- Engage and collaborate with external experts, consultants, and laboratories in areas where internal expertise is unavailable
- Present and discuss investigation findings in case review meetings
- Mine available datasets and communicate insights related to emerging and declining trends, risks - opportunities, and year-over-year performance
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with internal teams in the commercial, customer support, reverse logistics and repair organizations
- Maintain essential knowledge base and educate the rest of the product safety team on hazards and emerging risks, as well as regulatory agency actions
- 5+ years in product safety management position
- Clear understanding of potential product safety concerns common to consumer electronics such as: laptop computers, video game consoles, handheld, and wearable devices
- Ability to collaborate effectively across geographically distributed multi-disciplinary teams
- Able to communicate (written and verbally) difficult or sensitive information tactfully and effectively to a broad audience, including executive management, product development teams, legal counsel, as well as peers
- BSs in Engineering (Electrical, or Mechanical preferred)
- Aptitude to perform inspections, tests, and measurements at an electronics lab
- Working knowledge of safety standards for consumer electronics (IEC 60950-1 or 62368-1)
- Knowledge of Li-ion battery design, safety, and failure analysis
- Experience working with manufacturers (ODM & CM) and suppliers in the consumer products or consumer electronics segments
- Experience working with product liability and subrogation attorneys, and interacting with regulatory agencies
- NAFI - CFEI or IAAI – CFI certification
- Product Safety Professional certification
- mechanical drawings
- Experience working with bug tracking systems (Jira, Azure DevOps (ADO))
- Proficiency in analysis and organization of complex data using data analysis and visualization packages (powerBI, Tableau)
- Strategic/tactical skills: enthusiastic, self-starter, curious, organized, creative, effective communicator, detailed oriented, thrives in continuously evolving and ambiguous environments, self-driven approach to remove obstacles, and critical thinking
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.