Resilience Technical Program Manager
Location: Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
The mission of Microsoft Digital Security & Resilience (DSR) is to enable Microsoft to build the most trusted devices and services, while keeping our company safe and our data protected. As part of the Microsoft Security organization, and a steward of Microsoft and our customer’s data, a core function of Microsoft DSR is ensuring the security of every aspect of the business. Microsoft DSR is responsible for company-wide information security and compliance, with a strategic focus on information protection, assessment, awareness, governance, and enterprise business continuity. As customer zero, we deploy and secure these services inside Microsoft and then share best practices with enterprise customers at scale across the globe. We have exciting opportunities for you to innovate, influence, transform, inspire, and grow within our organization and we encourage you to apply to learn more!
Microsoft is looking for an experienced engineer with a passion for, and experience in, architecting resilient services.
This position supports the on-going development of our Enterprise Resilience program, which works with both internal-facing and customer-facing services to implement industry and internal resilience best practices. Specifically, you will be responsible for ensuring highly resilient and scalable service designs across Microsoft, through partnerships with engineering teams to understand the complexities of the dependencies that exist across Microsoft to drive end to end resilience. The goal of this program is to empower Microsoft to meet our customer commitments by ensuring the resilience of our critical services and their dependencies.
partnerships with engineering teams and understanding the complexities of the dependencies that exist across Microsoft to ensure this resilience. The goal of this program is to ensure that is able to meet our customer commitments by ensuring the resilience of our critical services and their dependencies.
The ideal candidate has a successful track record architecting resilient systems and working across teams to educate and inspire other engineers about resilience. You should be data-driven – using data to identify patterns of failure to focus on where improvements need to be made to deliver the biggest increase to a services’ resilience. You enjoy solving complex problems, working in ambiguous and undefined spaces, and guiding teams through transformative change. The successful candidate is agile and able to adapt to support an ever-changing company, evolving technology stack, and shifting risk environment. You should have experience being an ambassador for a program with numerous, diverse stakeholders, including senior management. The ability to influence others without authority is a skill that is critical to the success of this role – both during day-to-day efforts as well as during crises. You are someone who leads by example and fosters an open work environment where cross-collaboration, inclusiveness, and diversity of perspective are valued.
Responsibilities will include:
- Lead technical processes to develop complex cross-functional service resilience including architecture, data and solutions.
- Drive system design evaluations.
- Drive in-depth analyses to develop insights that enable actions relevant to engineering practices, system and service architectural design, reduction of continuity, and resilience risks, and delivery of improvements to organizational continuity and resilience programs and initiatives.
Knowledge, experience and skills:
- BS in Computer Science, Information Technology, Mathematics and Statistics, or related field or equivalent work experience.
- 7+ year’s experience designing and developing enterprise services, including highly automated, cloud-based solutions in diverse technical environment
- Experience in the field of resiliency
- Experience in driving accountability of program execution through various levels of leadership in a diverse organization
Preferred, not required:
- Experience in the fields of: Business continuity, disaster recovery, reliability, resiliency, incident/crisis management, risk management
- Program Management capabilities
- Experience with Azure/Cloud, Resiliency, Recovery, Threat Modeling, and Failure Modes Analysis, or related fields
- Outstanding problem-solving skills and passion to solve complex technical and operational challenges
- Experience working collaboratively across teams to define and implement sustainable resiliency programs
- Ability to collaborate effectively with PMs and other strong technical SMEs; excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience in setting short and long-term strategies to improve the resilience of large and complex services
- Communication/writing skills (white papers)
Describe the ideal candidate
The ideal candidate will have experience in a team environment, experience running and designing enterprise scale services and platforms, technical depth in cloud platforms, agile development practices, and experience in designing & tuning telemetry. In addition, this position requires an individual who can demonstrate the ability to implement highly resilient and scalable service designs through direct partnership with engineering teams.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.