Senior Software Engineer- Backend
Location: Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
Are you someone with passion for technology, engineering excellence and quality? Are you looking for work on world-class cloud services with a team of highly talented engineers? If so, Azure Data Services is the right place for you.
Azure Data Services is the Microsoft organization that delivers industry-leading, intelligent, cloud services that span 36 regions across the world. With best-in-class data products like SQL Database, CosmosDB, Power BI and others, we have millions of databases serving billions of requests, over exabytes of storage, across most of the world. The newly created Azure Data SaaS for organization is pushing the limits and assumptions of what developers expect of a database. This means redefining the database experience all together. Leveraging our incredible portfolio of databases, we are building a cross-cutting database platform to deeply integrate with the developer and analytics ecosystem with SaaS ISVs and cloud-native developers as our focus.
We are developing the platform to help democratize databases for the developers by making them – easy to experiment, provision with no-wait, flexible on the database engine, easy to deploy from stage to prod, auto managed for one or even a million databases, scale as serverless, highly available etc. We believe that databases and managing them should disappear for most practical purposes for a developer, thus allowing focus on the apps. As a v1 product, we run as a start up by packing all the goodness of - learning and growing every day, customer obsession, excitement of building something new, laser focus on the target, fast paced execution, creative satisfaction, deep collaboration, close-knit team to rely on, opportunity to pick diverse roles and responsibilities. And while we do all of that, we make sure to have fun and contribute to creating a safe, open, diverse team culture that supports each other as a team. If you want to innovate at the speed of a startup with the scale and backing of a hyper-scaler, you won’t want to miss this opportunity.
- Design, implement and deploy backend cloud services
- Operate backend microservices at scale with high reliability by automating response to service events
- Contribute to developer velocity within team by building on test coverage, CI/CD pipelines for the code and services
- Improve processes, livesite practices across the team
- Work with Product managers to scope projects and lead a v-team of engineers to deliver them
- Support team efforts in adopting relevant new technologies, tools, methods and processes from Microsoft and industry.
- Contribute to learning and grow together team culture
- Stay educated on existing, emerging technologies and do POCs to evaluate technology fits for customer needs
- 5+ years of industry software engineering experience developing and operating complex systems using C/C++, C#, Java or any other Backend language
- 3+ years of experience in developing, testing and debugging native code in C/C++
- 2+ years of Hands-on experience with Linux containers, Kubernetes
- 3+ years of Demonstrated technical leadership in shipping and operating high-quality cloud services and/or applications
- 3+ years of Experience building complex applications using open-source databases like postgreSQL, MySQL etc.
- BS in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering or relevant technical experience.
- Design and development experience in database engines, distributed systems, cloud computing, Container technologies
- Fluent in multi-threaded and asynchronous programming, passionate about architecting at scale
- Experience in building and operating Data plane of a Cloud Service
The ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check:
- This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to, the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.