Software Engineer II
Location: Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
Azure Data Services is the Microsoft organization that delivers industry-leading, intelligent, cloud services that span 36 regions across the world. With best-in-class data products like SQL Database, CosmosDB, Power BI and others, we have millions of databases serving billions of requests, over exabytes of storage, across most of the world. The newly created Azure Data SaaS organization is pushing the limits and assumptions of what developers expect of a database. This means redefining the database experience all together. Leveraging our incredible portfolio of databases, we are building a cross-cutting database platform to deeply integrate with the developer and analytics ecosystem with SaaS ISVs and cloud-native developers as our focus.
We are developing the platform to help democratize databases for the developers by making them – easy to experiment, provision with no-wait, flexible on the database engine, easy to deploy from stage to prod, auto managed for one or even a million databases, scale as serverless, highly available etc. We believe that databases and managing them should disappear for most practical purposes for a developer, thus allowing focus on the apps. As a v1 product, we run as a start up by packing all the goodness of - learning and growing every day, customer obsession, excitement of building something new, laser focus on the target, fast paced execution, creative satisfaction, deep collaboration, close-knit team to rely on, opportunity to pick diverse roles and responsibilities. And while we do all of that, we make sure to have fun and contribute to creating a safe, open, diverse team culture that supports each other as a team. If you want to innovate at the speed of a startup with the scale and backing of a hyper-scaler, you won’t want to miss this opportunity.
- Design and deliver innovative, high quality user facing solutions and experiences for large-scale distributed systems.
- Design and implement efficient and effective engineering systems and infrastructure to improve the reliability, scalability, and efficiency of your services.
- Collaborate closely and efficiently across disciplines to drive clarity, consensus, consistency and achieve mutual success.
- React to problems relating to mission critical services and mitigate, with the goal of automating response to all non-exceptional service conditions.
- Participate in project team activities and contributes to documentation requirements consistent with methodology
- Successfully complete engineering phases of projects in conformance to project goals, requirements, and schedule
- Support team efforts in adopting relevant new technologies, tools, methods and processes from Microsoft and industry.
- Pay utmost attention to quality right from the design phase, incorporating best practices and engineering for testability
- Expose test coverage issues, organize and implement integration tests, and resolves problem areas.
- Stay educated on existing, emerging technologies and do POCs to evaluate technology fits for customer needs.
- 3+ years of industry software engineering experience developing and operating complex systems using C++, C#, Java, Python.
- 2+ years of experience building simple, scalable, compelling Web based experiences, with proven high customer satisfaction and adoption.
- 2 + years of experience working with databases: SQL, MySQL, PostgreSQL, CosmosDB.
- BS in Computer Science or relevant technical experience.
- Proven track record in production software and system development lifecycle
- Knowledge of Microsoft Azure, AWS or similar cloud computing platforms is preferred
- Effective team collaborator and communicator
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Strong passion and track record in advocating for good user experiences
- Experience using GitHub, Visual Studio Code or other common development environments.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check:
This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.