Director of SEO
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, Miami, Florida, New York, New York, Redmond, Washington, San Francisco, California
Job Type: Full time
Our websites are the public face of Microsoft, where individuals, communities, and businesses can directly experience all that’s possible with our products. They are critical entry points for people to discover what they can create with our products and services. The Content and SEO team in the Global Demand Center (GDC) for commercial cloud marketing is looking for a smart, self-motivated, data-driven Director of SEO to manage organic search for the commercial cloud portfolio of sites. The Director of SEO will lead a team of SEO Managers who develop and execute strategies to drive traffic and revenue for our cloud products.
As an SEO leader, you will be accountable for deeply understanding business priorities, setting SEO strategies across a complex portfolio, executing those strategies with demonstrated business impact, and educating stakeholders about SEO. You have at hands-on SEO experience (technical and content), including solving tough multi-domain, enterprise-level SEO problems with global footprints, developing sound strategies to support traffic from the top to the bottom of the funnel in a commerce ecosystem, and educating and influencing a broad set of stakeholders in an enterprise environment. In this position, you’ll work closely with engineering and marketing web teams, product marketing, engineering, paid/SEM teams, our content studio writers, and agency partners to evolve and sustain a holistic, scalable, impactful SEO program. Our team: We are a fast-paced group with global stakeholders. We put a focus on getting things done, simplifying anything and everything, and having fun while doing it. We all believe that content matters—it helps our customers find us and inspires them to take action on the happy path once they do find us. You will be in the middle of it all helping to make decisions that impact our resources, timelines, and global web experiences.
- Coach and develop a data-driven, results-oriented, innovative, best-in-class, and inclusive SEO team.
- Help others learn and grow. You recognize that SEO can be a “black box” to others and you understand how to distill down key SEO concepts for others to understand.
- Evolve an SEO program into an SEO Center of Excellence that maximizes traffic and revenue opportunities across the commercial cloud portfolio.
- Stay current on global SEO and search landscape and emerging trends and identify tools and reports to automate processes or deliver more sophisticated analysis.
- Analyze complex data sets to identify opportunities, forecast results, and implement strategies in a cross-functional team, as well as prepare and present executive-ready reports with insights about SEO performance.
- Collaborate with business groups to solve technical problems, provide optimization recommendations, and forecast impact to initiate traffic across our web properties.
- Find actionable insights that help partner teams improve efficiency of paid online marketing spend and site operations.
- Stay current on the global SEO and search landscape, including emerging trends, and identify opportunities to continue to evolve a growth-marketing SEO team.
Who you are:
- Obsessed with SEO. You know the landscape of industry tools to audit, research, and analyze search data, and how to derive meaningful insights from what you uncover.
- Equally comfortable with both technical and content optimization; in this role, you’ll do both, but with a focus on content and growth marketing.
- A problem solver. You can build SEO strategies that address the complexities of having multiple sites and domains that serve similar audiences.
- A believer in data democratization and you understand that openly sharing SEO data only helps make the SEO program stronger.
- Fact-based, data-driven. You persuade with facts, not fluff. And you always challenge your own assumptions.
- Bachelor's Degree in Marketing, Computer Science, Business or related field AND 6+ years experience in business
- OR Master's Degree in Marketing, Computer Science, Business or related field AND 4+ years experience in business
- OR equivalent experience.
- 4+ years direct people management experience or indirect people management experience (or virtual teams).
- 8+ years’ practical experience managing a global SEO program with a strong focus on content
- Experience managing SEO teams, including in-house and contingent staff
- Experience preparing and presenting SEO performance and insights to executives Preferred qualifications
- Deep familiarity Adobe Analytics/Omniture and other analytics and reporting tools, including Power BI
- Highly proficient in Excel with the ability to analyze data and prepare report presentations
- Ability to draw conclusions from data to create business cases, market insights, and requirements for SEO
- Experience using SEO tools including but not limited to SEMRush, BrightEdge, Google Search Console, Bing WMT, Deepcrawl, Screaming Frog, and others
- Ability to manage multiple projects in highly-matrixed organizations, often with competing priorities
- A demonstrated track record of increasing rankings, traffic, and revenue while managing and executing SEO strategies and tactics
- Well-versed in online marketing best practices and measurement
- Understanding of site management, web development principles
For Colorado based residents, the salary range for this role is from $ 172,668-197,333 .
At Microsoft certain roles are eligible for additional rewards, including annual bonus and stock. These awards are allocated based on individual performance. In addition, certain roles also have the opportunity to earn sales incentives based on revenue or utilization, depending on the terms of the plan and the employee’s role.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.