Location: Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
Are you passionate about Microsoft Azure and building cloud scale services? Are you looking to learn and contribute to cutting edge manageability infrastructure using containers, serverless computing, and more, that makes it easy to run services on the cloud?
If so, this is a wonderful and rare opportunity in the Azure OneDeploy team that develops the software infrastructure for management of services using Azure. The Azure OneDeploy team is looking for motivated engineers with a strong track record who are in search of an exciting environment working with innovative and revolutionary technology.
The Azure OneDeploy team is part of Azure Compute which is responsible for creating the foundation of Microsoft cloud platform for utility computing. It is the core infrastructure team that provides orchestration systems for worldwide software rollouts. The team owns the charter of building services that make it easy to design, develop, deploy and maintain Azure services for customers. The system is built on the fundamentals of providing fast and safe worldwide service rollouts with the capabilities of health-integrated auto rollbacks. It is designed with scale and extensibility in mind as it supports a diverse set of customers. Common needs of security and compliance are baked into the system as we move towards one service management system for all Azure services in Microsoft and beyond. Azure OneDeploy holds the key to unlocking rapid innovation while providing the most up-to-date infrastructure for customers maintaining service availability and quality with capabilities of auto healing for services. The work done in this team has a multiplier effect for all services running on Azure as it delivers on a smart underlying infrastructure for everyone to use. The traditional methods of software delivery cannot keep up with the demand of developer innovation and business need so we are innovating across all aspects of service delivery.
The position requires expertise of distributed system design, large scale service coding capability and service analytics. If you are an expert in these areas you will find yourself applying your knowledge, validating your work in the fast-growing Azure cloud platform and enjoying a great sense of accomplishment. We are also looking for the developers with strong analytics mindset to tune the service and drive results with service analytics. We offer you a strong team and culture that invests in new technologies and in our people for the long term. While we design as a platform, we ship constantly in an incremental fashion. The emphasis is on solid long-term design and incremental shipping with high quality and quick adaptation to customer feedback. You are encouraged to come up with creative solutions for numerous hard problems like:
- How can I help code to get to production faster and safer?
- How can I build smart systems that can automatically deploy and rollback?
- How can I make all aspects of service management super-efficient, so more time is spent on writing customer value features?
- As a part of the team, you will gain a solid understanding of what it takes to manage the Azure cloud and how to work with large scale distributed services.
We value people who can bring a diverse perspective to our product and where a developer will not just write code but will have a real meaningful impact on the direction of the product and which features to build. We are building a team where diversity of thought and background is valued as strongly as technical skills, and where everyone is encouraged to come up with new ideas to make our customers’ lives better.
This position is for an agile and fast-moving engineer within Azure Compute focusing on one or more of the following problems
- Change management at all layers (infra/customer, public/private) in a coherent way from standpoint of safety, staging and impact.
- Orchestrate change management (code, data, config) with changes in dependencies, repairs, scale/up down and other activities at all layers of the virtualization stack.
- Collect and reason about health of targets across the Azure Stack.
- Deliver great change management velocity.
- Orchestrate change in co-ordination with customer preferences.
- Deliver awesome customer value in managing their deployments on Azure such that they find Azure is the easiest and safest places to run cloud first services as well as traditional enterprise IT.
- Enable experimentation, flighting and testing in production.
- Build solutions that enable customers to focus on business layer and automate/simplify provisioning and deployment on Azure.
- BSc in Computer Science or the equivalent amount of technical field experience in lieu off degree
- Experience running and working on services at scale
- Experience in developing, debugging and maintaining code in object-oriented languages and database querying languages
- Strong coding, debugging, algorithm design and problem-solving skills
- Strong computer science fundamentals
- Strong design, development, and debugging skills
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to ramp up on new technologies and features
May include: Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.