Business Development Manager (Attendees and Members of Sponsored Conferences)
Location: Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
Applicants who are members or participants of the following Microsoft sponsored conferences or organizations are encouraged to apply for this job.
- Grace Hopper Celebration (GHC)
- National Black MBA Association (NBMBAA)
- National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE)
- Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE)
- Society of Women Engineers (SWE)
If you are interested in roles at Microsoft but are not associated with one of the above organizations, please search for similar roles on the Microsoft Careers site.
The Business Development, Strategy and Ventures (BDSV) organization at Microsoft is chartered with helping to accelerate Microsoft’s mission and long-term growth by setting company-level strategy, identifying and executing high impact strategic partnerships, and driving venture investments. We are responsible for identifying and helping to capture opportunities that will deliver growth not just today but three, five, even ten years out.
The Business Development arm of BDSV specifically helps develop and execute on product strategy by 1. serving as a key partner and strategic advisor to engineering, product and industry teams across Microsoft and 2. amplifying and accelerating product growth through partnerships and acquisitions. We work to either fill a gap in our product capabilities, build an ecosystem around a new offering, or deliver transformational partnerships that expand current markets or opens new markets and lines of business.
Customer and Partner Focus
- Maintains and develops internal and external relationships with business and technical peers for assigned accounts.
- Develops understanding of customers and partners business and strategy and relevant industry trends through research (reading industry research reports, attending internal/external conferences, SME/mentor feedback, leveraging internal resources, talking with partner directly, gathering third party resources). Develops understanding of Microsoft point of view/landscape. Applies understanding in execution of deal/plan.
- Supports senior colleagues in articulating partnership opportunities for Microsoft to drive business value propositions with assigned customers and partners.
- Researches technology, industry, and competitive trends, and works internally to understand how Microsoft is positioned. Consolidates information into reports to present and share insights with their team.
- Works with stakeholders to support development of target customer/partner list to close high-priority gaps across technology, product, business, and/or geography.
- Utilizes process to support development and maintenance of pipeline; prepares information for reporting to key stakeholders. Escalates to manager as needed.
- Supports deal opportunities across deal stages (e.g., Strategic Approval (SA), Approval to Negotiate (A2N), Final Go-no-go (FGNG)) contributing to materials and analyses, for executive reviews, etc. Supports deal process by tracking deal issues, supporting operational tasks, and escalating as appropriate. Closes opportunities using predefined program frameworks or templates, as applicable.
- Assists with execution and deal management by communicating and reporting with Microsoft stakeholders. Tracks blocking issues and works with deal stakeholders to drive resolutions.
- Supports post-deal governance and execution plans by working with internal and partner stakeholders across business and technical and operational teams. and supports measurement results by assessing progress against KPIs defined success metrics (e.g., revenue, volume of opportunities in the pipeline/channel). capture and report on issues.
- Must be a participant of a Microsoft sponsored event/organization member of: AfroTech, Grace Hopper Celebration (GHC), National Black MBA Association (NBMBAA), National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE), Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE), Society of Women Engineers (SWE) only
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Liberal Arts, Sciences, or related field AND 3+ years relevant work experience (e.g., investment banking, consulting, finance, marketing, corporate strategy, sales, venture capital, legal, business development, product management, project management, software development, or related field)
- OR equivalent experience.
Additional or Preferred Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Liberal Arts, Sciences, or related field AND 5+ years relevant work experience (e.g., investment banking, consulting, finance, marketing, corporate strategy, sales, venture capital, legal, business development, product management, project management, software development, or related field)
- OR Master's/Advanced Degree in Business, Sciences, or related field and 2+ years relevant work experience (e.g., investment banking, consulting, finance, marketing, corporate strategy, sales, venture capital, legal, business development, product management, project management, software development, or related field)
- OR equivalent experience.
- 4+ years experience in the technology industry OR in a technical role (e.g., IT, Engineering).
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.