Permitting Program Manager
Location: Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
The Microsoft Datacenter Development Permitting team supports the development and delivery of Microsoft’s datacenter portfolio from site selection through design, construction and operation. The MS datacenter development portfolio consists of complex, multi-disciplinary, large scale, multi-year datacenter construction and lease projects.
Microsoft is looking for a Permitting Program Manager for the AMERS region to support the development and execution of permitting strategies for the lifecycle delivery of datacenter development. The Permitting Program Manager will be a key contributor in the execution of comprehensive permitting programs and to the Microsoft pre-construction program. This role will require regular engagement with key Microsoft stakeholders.
In alignment with our Microsoft values, we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment for all employees to positively impact our culture every day.
The successful candidate will:
- Manage the permitting and approvals process for a portfolio of projects to enable new datacenter development and construction throughout
- Conduct comprehensive assessments during due diligence and throughout design and construction to identify permit requirements and associated risks.
- Coordinate with key internal counterparts including land development, design, construction, operations and environmental team leaders to develop comprehensive and integrated permitting and project delivery strategies
- Communicate key risks, mitigations, and policies to internal Microsoft stakeholders.
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to Identify innovative solutions to resolve delays to construction or other activities due to permitting delays.
- Identify permitting agency engagement strategy and represent Microsoft in key meetings with applicable Authorities with Jurisdiction (AHJ), regulatory agencies, external stakeholders, and the public to facilitate datacenter development.
- Support the development of program tools and processes to continuously improve the delivery of permits, approvals and entitlements for datacenter development.
- Educate the project team on permitting requirements to ensure timely approvals and compliance
- Manage permit approval conditions to ensure compliance
- Key Metrics will include permitting and delivery timeline predictability
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Construction, or equivalent area.
- 7+ years of experience delivering large scale and/or complex construction projects.
- Experience delivering permits and planning approvals for large scale and/or complex construction projects.
- Experience managing a portfolio of projects and associated budgets and schedules
- Ability to establish and maintain cross-functional and positive working relationships with internal and external teams including environmental consultants, attorneys, contractors, and regulatory agencies.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, attention to detail and high standards for quality of deliverables.
- Community Engagement and Stakeholder engagement experience
- Mission critical design and/or construction experience.
- Experience in delivery projects in multiple jurisdictions
- Proficiency in English, Spanish and Portuguese