Datacenter Inventory & Asset Tech II
Location: Boydton, Virginia
Job Type: Full time
In alignment with our Microsoft values, we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment for all employees to positively impact our culture every day and we need you as a Data Center Inventory & Asset Technician (DIAT).
Microsoft’s Cloud Operations & Innovation (CO+I) is the engine that powers our cloud services. As a CO+I DIAT, you will perform a key role in delivering the core infrastructure and foundational technologies for Microsoft's online services including Bing, Office 365, Xbox, OneDrive, and the Microsoft Azure platform. As a group, CO+I is focused on the personal and professional development of all employees and offers trainings and opportunities including Career Rotation Programs, Diversity & Inclusion trainings and events, and professional certifications.
Our infrastructure is comprised of a large global portfolio of more than 100 datacenters and 1 million servers. Our foundation is built upon and managed by a team of subject matter experts working to support services for more than 1 billion customers and 20 million businesses in over 90 countries worldwide.
With environmental sustainability and optimization at the forefront of our datacenter design and operations, we continue to grow and evolve as we meet the ever-changing business demands that hold Microsoft as a world-class cloud provider.
Do you want to empower billions across the world? Come and join us in CO+I and be at the forefront of the action!
- Complies with security and data management policies.
- Escalates any security or safety incidents. Coordinates with security escorts for third-party vendors.
Tactical Shift Management
- Performs assigned tasks and escalates issues during high-volume work activity or escalation-based situations.
- Leverages process knowledge and best judgment to complete next task without direct supervision.
Inbound and Outbound Logistics
- Coordinates, prepares, and executes incoming/outgoing deliveries (e.g. purchase order [PO] receiving, Rack Movement Supervisor [RMS] activities).
- Applies appropriate customs documentations and standards for outbound packages.
- Ensures complete and detailed physical inventory tracking and staging.
- Maintains a strong focus to understand the impact of their work when completing tickets and assigned Inventory and Asset Management (IAM) tasks.
- Ensures IAM tasks are completed accurately as requested, as well as meet company and industry standards and policies.
- Builds strong working relationships with customers. I
- Maintains and stewards up-to-date and accurate logical information within various inventory management systems (e.g., configuration management databases, asset management repositories).
- Performs inventory cycle audits, data corrections, and various Data Center regulatory compliance or certification control audit activity.
- Performs material movement, including shipping/receiving and inventory management per standard process.
- Ensures detailed physical inventory tracking and staging.
Warranty Process Management
- Engages supplier to initiate warranty claim when automation is not available and processes the orders.
- Processes failed vendor hardware devices using online/other tools, including information processing, packaging, shipment, and receipt of return for Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) devices.
- Follows all Service Level Agreements (SLAs) related to RMA warranty process.
Data Bearing Device (DBD) Destruction
- Performs destruction of data bearing devices (DBD) following all Service Level Agreements (SLAs) and Microsoft policies as necessary.
- Ensures DBD serial number matches with database.
- Coordinates with and oversees any third-party vendors who perform DBD destruction as necessary.
- Notifies management about ordering stock shortages. Escalates any issues to management.
- Follows procedures to contribute to plans to develop, build, and run methodologies. Ensures execution according to accepted procedures for consistency, accuracy, and timeliness of delivery.
Microsoft reviews all applications that meet the below Required Qualifications.
For this role, you are welcome to apply if you meet the following Required Qualifications:
- High School Diploma AND 1+ year(s) experience warehouse/supply chain in an information technology (IT) environment, inventory management, retail, warehouse management, or a related field
- OR equivalent experience.
- Ability to work 12 hours shifts, including shift assignments during non-standard business hours that may include evening, nighttime, weekends, and/or holidays.
While not required, we also look for the following Preferred Qualifications:
- 2+ year(s) experience in warehouse/supply chain in an information technology (IT) environment, IT, and/or logistics, operating heavy-load movement equipment (e.g., forklift, pallet jacks, chassis lifts) for a large corporation
- OR equivalent experience.
Background Check Requirements:
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
- Citizenship Verification: This position requires verification of US Citizenship to meet federal government security requirements.
- Criminal Justice Information Services: This position may require passing a background check conducted through the CJIS criminal justice information system by authorized local, state, and/or federal agencies.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.