Senior Business Intelligence Engineer
Location: Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
Microsoft is on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Our culture is centered on embracing a growth mindset, a theme of inspiring excellence, and encouraging teams and leaders to bring their best each day. In doing so, we create life-changing innovations that impact billions of lives around the world. You can help us achieve our mission.
Cloud Operations + Innovation (CO+I) is the engine that powers Microsoft’s core cloud platforms and services that millions of people use every day. With more than 95% of Fortune 500 business on Azure, 180 million using Office 365, and millions using other services – all running on Microsoft's cloud infrastructure – CO+I builds and operates the foundation upon which Microsoft’s mission to empower every person and organization comes to life.
Are you passionate about cloud computing? Do you get excited about transforming Microsoft’s most critical business through automation, data and intelligence? If so, come and help us build the most reliable & efficient datacenter infrastructure on the planet. The CO+I Critical Environment Hardware and Solutions Engineering (CEHSE) team is responsible for designing and delivering solutions to support worldwide datacenter operations. To accomplish this the team must utilize data from every aspect of our business. This work can range financial planning, to the mapping of failures rates in building level systems to the link between Air flow and Server failure.
We are looking for an experienced Senior Business Intelligence Engineer to help meet that demand. This person should be intellectually curious, relentless, interested in peeling the onion on analysis, and looking for insights in data that can turn into actionable and measurable outcomes.
In alignment with our Microsoft values, we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment for all employees to positively impact our culture every day.
As a CEHSE Senior Business Intelligence Engineer, you will:
- Engage broadly with teams to frame, structure, and prioritize business problems.
- Mine datasets to identify information & insights that are relevant to answer key questions.
- Design, develop, and implement visual displays of data and insights that are self-explanatory and drive actionable outcomes.
- Collaborate and help Improve data systems and algorithms that drive business performance by providing feedback to respective business owners & data scientist teams on anomalies and gaps.
- Work creatively with data engineers to help create and maintain systems capable of extracting detail from systems, transforming data to a common taxonomy.
- Practice deep dives into data to find key insights that impact business, and surface actionable recommendations accordingly.
- Enable broad use of Power BI and other Analysis tools by working with Field and local teams through education and direct engagement.
- Collaborate closely with other teams to develop reporting and analytics that will help drive strategic decision making and measurable outcomes.
- Present insights and learnings to key stakeholders / executives, drive actions and impact.
- BA/BS Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent work experience.
- 5+ years of relevant experience in Data Engineering and Business Analytics or related field working on large scale complex programs focused on Data Integration & Analytics.
- 3+ years of relevant experience with Query languages (SQL, Kusto, Cosmos, etc.).
- 3+ years of experience with Power BI.
- Documented experience with creating leadership-level views to drive actionable and strategic decision making.
- Experience working with unstructured and structured data with a solid understanding of big data solutions.
- Ability to communicate advanced analytics and insights to both technical and non-technical audience.
- Experience within a data center environment, manufacturing, maritime engineering, energy sector, oil and gas industry, or another type of operations environment is a plus.
- Ability to collaborate across the globe with diverse teams and be able to travel as necessary to learn and support operations in US and internationally.
- Ability to understand customer needs and be able to tailor the message being presented depending on the audience.
- 2+ year of industry work experience in Python or R, building and implementing statistical models and machine learning models and simulations.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to, the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.