Senior Security Researcher
Location: Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
Come and be part of the team building one of Microsoft’s most exciting security products, Microsoft Defender Advanced Threat Protection (MDATP). As cyber-attacks have become more sophisticated, MDATP helps enterprises detect, investigate, and respond to advanced attacks and data breaches on their networks. From detecting nation state actors to patient zero ransomware infections, our research team brings deep knowledge of the attacker landscape and tradecraft to create the innovations necessary to uncover even the most well-funded attacker.
We are seeking an experienced security researcher who is excited by uncovering unknown attacks to join our Redmond research team. The job includes researching our rich sensors data, identifying necessary optics for detecting malicious behavior, and crafting detection logic to ensure compromise does not go undetected. We are an industry leading threat research lab that does in-depth threat research with threats and exploits to help keep our customers safe. If you are a technically strong security researcher who is passionate about having huge impact in the security industry, we would love to talk to you!
- Conduct research that yields new insights, theories, analyses, data, algorithms, and prototypes that advance state-of-the-art of malware detection.
- Investigate, analyze, and expand upon security research and real incidents in order to develop durable detection solution/strategies across the kill-chain or product/OS enhancements.
- Collaborate with multiple product teams to design sensors, implement detection ideas, and validate their effectiveness using a data-driven approach.
- Collaborate with data science teams to understand and identify detection gaps, capabilities, assumptions, and improvements.
- 5+ years of software development/research experience utilizing knowledge of security/threat landscape.
- Deep and practical Windows internals knowledge.
- Reverse Engineering skills: familiar with debuggers, disassemblers, protocols, file formats
- Excellent cross-group and interpersonal skills
- BS+ in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
- Offensive security research experience.
- Digital forensics skills
- Programming skills in C, C++, C# or willingness to learn
- Industry recognized author of security research papers, blogs, or books
- Low-level/security knowledge of other operating systems
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.