Senior Cybersecurity Investigator - Abuse
Location: Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
Microsoft runs on trust, and our trusted cloud was built on the foundational principles of security, privacy, compliance, and transparency. We’re looking for people to help us keep that promise every day. Do you have a passion for security and excitement about impacting some of the largest and most complex security challenges Microsoft is involved with? Want to help us protect Microsoft customers and their data from adversaries? The Microsoft Security Response Center team (MSRC) is looking for a Senior Security Operations Engineer to help protect our customers and services from those who try to abuse and misuse our services. In this role, you will leverage a mix of technical depth, engineering background, on-line services experience, and collaboration skills to help respond to threats and protect our cloud services from those who try to abuse them.
As a Senior Security Operations Engineer, you will work closely with other cloud and security experts across Microsoft to investigate abuse of our platform and services, proactively hunt for abuse, automate our capabilities, develop security tooling and data automation, and contribute your many experiences to protecting Microsoft and our customers. You will work to understand how adversaries misuse and abuse our platform, and disrupt their activities. We work in a DevOps model within the security business, so we look for someone who has a passion for automating their way out of having to do the same thing twice, and is always thinking about how to scale what we do to millions and millions of users, hosts, and operations. Working as a part of the Microsoft Security Response Center (MSRC), you will work to solve issues related to the latest security trends and early warning indicators, as well as help design solutions for emerging threats. MSRC is a fast-paced team that constantly provides new opportunities to learn and grow.
This is a unique opportunity within Microsoft to work in a dynamic team taking on complex challenges in the business. Come bring your technical acumen, collaboration, and automation skills to protect customers.
#MSFTSecurity #SCIMJobs #SecurityJobs
- Plan and execute adversary hunt for abuse and misuse of our services using myriad log sources, network- and host-based tools, and threat intelligence to identify the threat actors and their tools and techniques.
- Participate in- and contribute to- cyber threat intelligence sharing forums and platforms; organize and curate threat intelligence; form macroscopic perspective on adversaries, actors, and campaigns.
- Perform investigation on suspected compromised assets and services, and analyze log data and other artifacts to determine what occurred.
- Partner with other teams across Microsoft to ideate, implement, and evolve systems and features to combat abuse.
- Create and deliver technical presentations and documentation about service and feature abuse prevention, detection, and response.
- Contribute to security policy and standards
- Drive fundamental improvement to the customer/partner experience in abuse scenarios
- Learn about and integrate with partner teams’ systems and processes to combat abuse.
- Design, develop, debug, and deliver tooling to assist the investigative and hunting process.
- Collect, curate, and transform various data to support advanced analytic creation and investigation automation.
- 5+ years working in a hands-on technical anti-abuse/anti-fraud/anti-cybercrime role AND/OR in a field that has transferrable hands-on technical skills, such as: cyber security operations (SOC/CSOC analyst), threat intelligence, security research, etc).
- Deeply skilled in working with extremely large data sets, to answer complex and ambiguous questions, using tools and languages like: SQL, KQL/Azure Data Explorer, Jupyter Notebook, Spark, R, U-SQL, Azure Synapse, Azure Machine Learning, Azure Data Lake, Python, or PowerBI.
- Experience in creating and improving process automation and tools/systems/API integration, using Python or PowerShell.
- Skilled in both communicating to and influencing- technical and non-technical audiences; ability to take highly ambiguous situations, achieve clarity, and align outcomes among many participants.
- Understanding of adversary and cyber intel frameworks such as kill-chain model, ATT&CK framework, and/or Diamond Model.
- Working understanding of common cybersecurity attack types and patterns, including: DDOS, Phishing, Ransomware, password attacks (brute force, spraying, cred stuffing), etc.
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: The successful candidate must pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
- Working knowledge of common security, encryption, and authentication protocols such as SAML or OAUTH.
- Experience working in large scale cloud products: Azure, Microsoft 365, or similar competitive products in the industry
- Exposure to security-related subjects and trends such as digital forensics, reverse engineering, penetration testing, and malware analysis.
- Previous experience performing development and code debugging with functional or object-oriented programming such as .NET or Java.
- Hands-on experience building Azure-based services with Azure Resource Manager (ARM), ARM templates, ARM policy, IaaS, VMSS, KeyVault, EventHub, Azure Active Directory (AAD), etc.
- Hands-on experience with requirements definition, Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery (CI/CD), Azure DevOps and Agile Scrum.
- Ability to work effectively in ambiguous situations and create clarity for yourself, those around you, and leadership.
- Comfortable working in a startup mode on a new team where there is lots of opportunity.
- Certifications like GCIA, GSLC, GCIH, CISM, CISSP, CEH, Etc. are plus.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.