Principal Software Engineer- Azure Storage
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Job Type: Full time
The cloud is at the core of Microsoft’s future and Azure Storage organization is the fundamental core of Azure which today provides exabytes of storage across the globe.
We (Azure Storage team) are responsible for delivering Storage Virtualization platform to Azure VMs. Our stack handles trillions of IOs every day from Azure VMs and runs in 100s of datacenters and 1000+ Clusters. We own the whole software/hardware stack on Azure Host responsible for handling VM IOs, various caches, Throttles, QoS for Azure VMs, various transports layers (tcp\http\rdma), encryption of data in transit and at rest, hardware offloads. We are the team that built Write accelerator feature in record short time which delivers fastest persistent writes amongst all major Public cloud providers.
As a Principal Software Engineer working in Azure Storage team, your mission will be to ensure Azure platform is performing reliably, highly available, secure and delivering consistent IO performance, can scale on-demand, and engineered to withstand the unparalleled computing demand from the customer workloads. We are looking for strong engineers who can help us to continue to evolve our software stack and also help with our next set of challenges like innovations to reduce IO latencies to microsecond range at 99.999 percentile, innovative ways to update complete IO stack with zero impact to the VM, hardware innovations to offload Host processing, secure data by encrypting in transit and at rest, building the next Gen AI for Monitoring and auto-diagnostics of distributed IO subsystem that handle Billions of IOPS and be the core of the intelligent cloud.
As Enterprises are moving their line of business apps to Azure, IO path has become more critical than ever before. So, come work with us on big architectural changes that will be redefining the hardware and software in Cloud.
Some of the other core responsibilities include
- Drive the strategy, vision, and execution for the team in collaboration with leaders across multiple disciplines. Balance engineering resources according to business needs & customer impacts.
- Coach engineers within the team and build a thriving engineering culture with a focus on rapid innovation and excellence.
- Design and develop system software that manages storage services in Azure.
- Ensure that services and components are well-defined and modularized, secure, reliable, diagnosable, actively monitored and reusable.
- Rapidly deploy cloud scale solutions and monitor health through telemetry.
- Drive for quality in everything you do and continuously improve the quality of the systems on which you work.
- 9+ years of professional experience in Software Engineering
- 4+ year of experience building reliable, distributed systems at scale
- BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent field experience or degree
- Experience in cloud development principles and patterns, particularly loosely coupled architectures and micro-services
- Experience working in Kernel Mode is big plus
- Technical knowledge of cloud storage
- Professional experience in C/C++ or Rust
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
This position can be located remotely in any of the following locations: Alabama, Arizona, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Wisconsin
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work. #azurecore