Principal Machine Learning Software/Systems Engineer for Databases
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, Austin, Texas, Charlotte, North Carolina, Chicago, Illinois, Dallas, Texas, Hillsboro, Oregon, Los Angeles, California, Orlando, Florida, Redmond, Washington, San Francisco, California, Washington, District of Columbia
Job Type: Full time
Azure Data Services is the Microsoft organization that delivers industry-leading, intelligent, cloud services that span 36 regions across the world. With best-in-class data products like SQL Database, CosmosDB, Power BI and others, we have millions of databases serving billions of requests, over exabytes of storage, across most of the world. The newly created Azure Data SaaS for organization is pushing the limits and assumptions of what developers expect of a database. This means redefining the database experience all together. Leveraging our incredible portfolio of databases, we are building a cross-cutting database platform to deeply integrate with the developer and analytics ecosystem with SaaS ISVs and cloud-native developers as are focus.
We are developing the platform to help democratize databases for the developers by making them – easy to experiment, provision with no-wait, flexible on the database engine, easy to deploy from stage to prod, auto managed for one or even a million databases, scale as serverless, highly available etc. We believe that databases and managing them should disappear for most practical purposes for a developer, thus allowing focus on the apps. As a v1 product, we run as a start up by packing all the goodness of - learning and growing every day, customer obsession, excitement of building something new, laser focus on the target, fast paced execution, creative satisfaction, deep collaboration, close-knit team to rely on, opportunity to pick diverse roles and responsibilities. And while we do all of that, we make sure to have fun and contribute to creating a safe, open, diverse team culture that supports each other as a team. If you want to innovate at the speed of a startup with the scale and backing of a hyper-scaler, you won’t want to miss this opportunity.
The ideal candidate will have industry experience working on AI/ML Development related topics applied to database management systems, distributed system to automate away the complexity of managing these systems. The position will involve taking these skills and applying them to solve some of the most crucial & exciting problems that exist in databases.
- Apply relevant AI and machine learning techniques to build & optimize intelligent systems that improve database products and experiences
- Engage and work closely with Data Scientists, Software Engineers, and Program Managers and identify scenarios for database workloads and management where AI techniques can be applied to automate those areas.
- Work closely with Applied Scientists on creating, maintaining, and optimizing AI models in a production environment. This will include creating tools to provide feedback from production AI models and find/ingest/organize and validate datasets.
- Working hands-on with the team and customers from design through implementation of large-scale AI infrastructure for intelligent system.
- Research new technologies and frameworks to improve data processing performance.
- Leverage data models to improve automated detection capabilities, data quality, and metrics.
- Review and validate technical documentation and ensure quality and clarity.
- Communicate complex technical issues and processes to stakeholders and drive the team through ambiguity.
- Foster a great relationship with stakeholders by being a great communicator and collaborator.
- Mentor and coach junior team members.
- 8+ years of professional experience in software engineering, or a relevant field
- 5+ years successful track record of deploying real-world AI solutions on Cloud and releasing into production with hands-on data analytics experience
- 2+ years of experience in one or more of the following areas: machine learning, data mining, artificial intelligence, or related technical field
- 2+ years working experience in large-scale machine learning infrastructure and MLOps
- 2+ years working experience in databases and system optimization
- Master’s or PhD degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related technical field
- Proficient and hands-on experience in Python, C++, C#, or Java
- Experience with at least one of the distributed Machine learning/Deep Learning frameworks such as TensorFlow, PyTorch, or Keras is a plus
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.