Principal Applied Data Scientist
Location: Mountain View, California
Job Type: Full time
What is Yammer?
Microsoft Yammer and Viva Engage is the industry-defining social network for the enterprise. Millions of employees, including 85% of Fortune 500 companies use Yammer every day, to build community and culture, share knowledge, and connect with their leaders and each other.
Yammer was one of the first startup unicorns this past decade and was acquired by Microsoft in 2012. Today, this means we get the benefits of a startup - rapid innovation, cutting-edge technology, outsized individual impact - with the advantages of working for one of the most successful software companies in the world. We work together in small, cross-functional teams - engineers, product managers, designers, data scientists - to design, deliver and operate delightful end user experiences to our tens of millions of users spread across the world.
We’ve always been mission-driven; In this post-Covid world, Yammer and Viva Engage has become even more indispensable than ever as employees have a deep need for connection and a sense of belonging. We’ve been growing rapidly and need your help to take Yammer to the next level. #Yammer
You will have:
- Autonomy and freedom to innovate
- Choice of the best of open source and Microsoft-internal technology
- The ability to experiment, A/B test, and make data-driven decisions
- Tons of opportunity for outsized impact as part of a small but mighty team on a rapidly-growing product needed now more than ever
At the same time, you also have the benefits of working at a top-tier tech company like Microsoft:
- Compensation, benefits, and perks
- Internal resources, technology, and opportunities for learning and growth
- Brand and networking
- Opportunity for massive scale as part of a suite with hundreds of millions of users
About this job:
Yammer Search team is looking for talented software development engineers who are passionate about developing solutions to challenging problems. Our mission is to build fluid, highly personal and performant search experiences for every person and organization using next generation machine learning technologies.
About this role:
We are looking for a engineer who has a strong background in software engineering as well as developing machine learning algorithms for semantic search use cases. You will be responsible for leading the Yammer Search team and helping deliver the most relevant and contextual search experiences in Microsoft products such as Viva Engage and Yammer. You will be collaborating with multiple partner teams across Microsoft to surface this content in other high traffic search platforms like Bing, Outlook, Teams and others.
Our BE stack:
- Linux on Azure
- Java and Ruby micro services, deployed as docker containers
- Graph QL, DropWizard, Rails REST APIs
- Postgres/CosmosDB/Kafka/RabbitMQ/Redis storage and queuing
- Mesos container orchestration, HAProxy-based service mesh
- Wavefront metrics, Azure Data Explorer log aggregation, PagerDuty alerting
- Azure ML and Synapse for ML model training
- Design, build, and maintain services with millions of users, operating in multiple global regions
- Collaborate with product, design, and engineering to deliver a delightful experience
- Continually seek deeper insights into the performance and scalability of our systems
- Experiment, A/B test key hypothesis to make data driven decisions
- Improve service reliability, performance and latency
- Collaborate with Data Analysts to define ML metrics
- Build feature engineering pipeline and produce ML models for search
- Lead cross team collaboration effort to roll out large scale ML models to Production
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Computer Science or a related field
- 6-8+ years of experience in software backend engineering
- 3-5+ years of experience of building and deploying ML models
- Solid ML background and familiarity with NLP and deep learning
- Demonstrable expertise in dealing with big datasets
- Knowledge of RDBMS programming
- Excellent programmer: your code is maintainable, and you write tests
- Experience owning your code through production
- MS or Ph.D. in ML or Data Science is a plus
- Experience with search engine is a plus
- Curious about reliability and performance, up and down the stack
- Microservices development, deployment, and monitoring
- Experience building large scale, resilient distributed systems
- Efficient, tenacious debugging skills using logs and metrics
- Demonstrated ability with Ruby on Rails is a plus but not necessary
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.