Underwriting Specialist- Hybrid
National Interstate Insurance Company
Location: Richfield, Ohio
Job Type: Full time
National Interstate is a member of Great American Insurance Group. As one of the leading commercial transportation insurers in the nation, we offer risk financing solutions in all 50 states tailored to meet the needs of a wide variety of transportation classes. Our offerings include traditional insurance and innovative alternative risk transfer (ART) programs, including more than a dozen group captive programs catering to niche wheels markets. We are proud to be a multiple Northcoast 99 winner and Cleveland Plain Dealer Top Workplace in Northeast Ohio. It is because of our talented and dedicated team that we are able to live out our company values of integrity, transparency, fairness, accountability, empowerment and collaboration with each transaction we make. If you are ready to join an engaging and driven team such as ours, we would love to hear from you!
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities
- Has responsibility for risk selection/rejection, pricing, retention, growth, and profitability per divisional objectives.
- Uses independent judgment and initiative to support business goals.
- Maintains a high level of customer service.
- Analyzes coverage and limit requests and decides what terms to offer.
- Prices business in accordance with company guidelines.
- Assesses risk quality and compliance within company guidelines and initiates appropriate loss prevention actions.
- Orders and screens miscellaneous reports needed in the rating and underwriting processes, such as Motor Vehicle reports, loss history reports, credit checks, outside inspections, loss control, etc.
- Develops and maintains effective business relationships with internal and external customers/coworkers in order to attract and retain profitable business.
- Interprets, explains, and markets products and services.
- Develops relationships with agents & brokers through telephone interactions.
- Administers, applies, and may update underwriting rules and guidelines, rating manual rules, and insurance laws and regulations.
- Provides technical advice to lower level associates and other functional areas.
- May have responsibility for performance and coaching of staff and may have a participatory role in decisions regarding talent selection, development, and performance management for direct reports.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
Field of Study: Business, Liberal Arts or a related discipline.
Experience: 5 to 8 years of related experience. May be in the process of obtaining or may have already completed certification in area of expertise; appropriate certifications could include Associate in Underwriting (AU), Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU), Certified Insurance Counselor (CIC), Program in General Insurance (INS) or Associate of Risk Management (ARM).
Company:NIC National Interstate Corporation