Production Underwriter Trainee
National Interstate Insurance Company
Location: Richfield, Ohio
Job Type: Full time
National Interstate is a member of Great American Insurance Group. As one of the leading commercial transportation insurers in the nation, we offer risk financing solutions in all 50 states tailored to meet the needs of a wide variety of transportation classes. Our offerings include traditional insurance and innovative alternative risk transfer (ART) programs, including more than a dozen group captive programs catering to niche wheels markets. We are proud to be a multiple Northcoast 99 winner and Cleveland Plain Dealer Top Workplace in Northeast Ohio. It is because of our talented and dedicated team that we are able to live out our company values of integrity, transparency, fairness, accountability, empowerment and collaboration with each transaction we make. If you are ready to join an engaging and driven team such as ours, we would love to hear from you!
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities
- Participates in/performs activities related to risk selection/rejection, pricing, retention, growth, and profitability per divisional objectives.
- Learns to use independent judgment and initiative to support business goals.
- Learns to maintain a high level of customer service.
- Learns to analyze coverage and limit requests and to decide what terms to offer.
- Learns to price business in accordance with company guidelines.
- Learns to assess risk quality and compliance within company guidelines and to initiate appropriate loss prevention actions.
- Learns to order and screen miscellaneous reports needed in the rating and underwriting processes, such as Motor Vehicle reports, loss history reports, credit checks, outside inspections, loss control, etc.
- Learns to develop and maintain effective business relationships with internal and external customers/coworkers in order to attract and retain profitable business.
- Participates in visiting agents, brokers, and producers with a more senior underwriter and learns to retain existing accounts, build and maintain business relationships, and develop new opportunities in support of divisional objectives.
- Learns to interpret, explain, and market products and services.
- Learns to apply underwriting rules and guidelines, rating manual rules, and insurance laws and regulations.
- Successfully completes all coursework/education as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience.
Field of Study: Liberal Arts, Business or a related discipline.
Experience: Typically part of a formal training program. 0 to 6 months of experience.
Company:NIC National Interstate Corporation
We offer competitive healthcare, retirement, and paid time off benefits.