VP, Benefits Compliance
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Job Type: Full time
Who We Are
We’re NFP, a five-time Best Places to Work award winner in Business Insurance for 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021. We are also recognized as an Elite 2018 Agency award winner named as a Top Employee Benefits Firm. We are a leading Insurance Broker and Consultant that provides Employee Benefits, Property & Casualty, and Retirement and Individual Private Client solutions to help our clients reach and realize their goals because we believe business is personal. Our personal commitment to our team and our clients have created long-lasting and successful relationships across our growing 300+ nationwide offices and 17 international locations. To learn more, please visit: https://www.nfp.com/
Under the general direction of the Deputy Chief Compliance Officer, the AVP or VP of Benefits Compliance, sometimes also referred to in the industry as “Benefits Compliance Counsel”, “ERISA Counsel”, “Employee Benefits Attorney”, or “Benefits Compliance Specialist” will join a team of other compliance attorneys and specialists dedicated to providing exemplary benefits compliance services. The successful candidate will be responsible for providing guidance to our employee benefit consultants and their clients on compliance with a broad range of laws applicable to health and welfare plans, including ERISA, PPACA, COBRA, HIPAA, Internal Revenue Code (including Section 125), FSAs, HRAs, HSAs, FMLA and other state and federal laws. The position requires the individual to conduct research, respond to benefits compliance inquiries, conduct employee benefits compliance seminars, webinars and provide internal training for our employee benefit consultants and their clients. The individual will also assist with the development and ongoing maintenance of our coveted benefits compliance resources. As a compliance attorney and consultant, the individual is expected to write and explain complex legal issues in laymen’s terms for benefit brokers and consultants and their employer clients.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Respond to benefits questions concerning health and welfare plan compliance
- Develop and maintain internal and external employee benefits compliance tools and resources
- Draft benefits compliance whitepapers and other important communications in a concise, easy-to-understand manner.
- Conduct employee benefit compliance seminars and webinars
- Stay abreast of the changing legislative and regulatory landscape, including ownership of a set of states for tracking legislative and regulatory developments.
- Perform client compliance checklist reviews in conjunction with account management teams.
- Own or co-own regional compliance initiatives in conjunction with regional sales and account management leaders, including regular compliance committee discussions and webinar training
- Mentor or manage junior team members of the Benefits Compliance team, as needed
- Contribute to the overall mission of the Benefits Compliance Department
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities:
- Must have knowledge of laws and regulations governing health and welfare plans
- Must have excellent presentation skills
- Must have excellent research and writing skills on the relevant legal topics
- Must be self-motivated and a hard worker
- Must have a strong sense of business ethics and integrity
- Must have ability to interact well with internal and external “customers”
- Must be detail oriented and thorough in completion of all assignments
- Must have strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize tasks to meet deadlines
- Must be able to maintain strict confidentiality in regard to work performed and access to information/data
- Must maintain a professional and positive attitude
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None required, but potential for managing or mentoring junior team members.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Law degree preferred
- Prior experience with federal or state governmental regulatory body a plus
- CEBS designation (or equivalent industry experience) preferred
- Minimum 4 years of experience in employee benefits compliance
What We Offer
NFP is proud to offer a competitive salary, PTO & paid holidays, 401(k) with match, exclusive discount programs, health & wellness programs, and more. Our PeopleFirst culture focuses on building and nurturing lifelong relationships with our employees because, at the end of the day, we exist to be there for others.
NFP and You... Better. Together.
NFP is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer.