Group Benefits Underwriter (Hybrid)
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Job Type: Full time
Who We Are
NFP is a seven-time Best Places to Work award winner in Business Insurance who has also earned the 5-Star Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) award from Insurance Business magazine and the WORK180 employer endorsement. We’re a recognized Elite Agency award winner and a leading property and casualty broker, benefits consultant, wealth manager, and retirement plan advisor. NFP provides solutions enabling client success through the expertise of over 8,000 global employees, investments in innovative technologies, and enduring relationships with highly rated insurers, vendors and financial institutions. To learn more, please visit: https://www.NFP.com.
The Underwriter will be responsible for providing underwriting expertise and support to NFP firms in addition to building and maintaining strong relationships with NFP internal and external customers. This position requires the individual to utilize his or her underwriting knowledge to effectively market underwriting decisions to the carriers when needed and assist the firms in positioning their cases to the carriers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide value added services to firms by providing prompt responses to telephone inquiries, written requests for underwriting opinions and assistance with negotiations.
- Communicate information regarding carriers’ underwriting guidelines, niches and practices to firms.
- Consult with field underwriters, principals and home office underwriters to gather additional information in an effort to secure the most favorable underwriting offer.
- Client servicing including financial reporting and financial related client questions and needs.
- Prepare financial reports to be used in monthly and quarterly reviews.
- Reports include claims, premium, membership, high claimants and network utilization.
- Develops renewal projections for medical, dental and vision and prepares renewal financial summary.
- Prepare and present renewal decision tool. Populate renewal model and update underwriting formulas and assumptions for large clients.
- Commitment to culture requires a demonstration of professionalism, accountability, customer/client focus, and teamwork.
Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities:
- Medical and financial underwriting skills.
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must have a sense of urgency.
- Must have excellent critical thinking skills and the ability to exercise judgment independently.
- A successful background in initiating and enhancing relationships with management, sales professionals, customers, and vendors.
- The ability to negotiate while maintaining positive relationships.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
- Strong knowledge of the group insurance marketplace including alternative funding methods and industry trends.
Education and/or Experience:
- Four-year college or university degree
- 1-3 years of related experience and/or training with a carrier, consultant or broker
Certificates, Licenses, Registration:
- MA Life, Accident and Health License required
What We Offer
NFP is proud to offer a competitive salary, PTO & paid holidays, 401(k) with match, exclusive discount programs, health & wellness programs, and more. Our PeopleFirst culture focuses on building and nurturing lifelong relationships with our employees because, at the end of the day, we exist to be there for others.
NFP and You... Better Together!
NFP is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer.