Intern, Actuarial Assistant
Location: Woodbury, New Jersey
Job Type: Full time
Actuarial Assistant – Role Description
XSRE’s Actuarial Assistant internship/co-op gives you an experience focused on learning about a career as a healthcare actuary. You will be asked to complete projects that are of significant impact to XSRE’s business.
- Are progressing toward a degree in a related field (actuarial science, mathematics, statistics, quantitative analysis, accounting, finance, investments, economics)
- Have 3.2 minimum GPA+
- Have had 1 or more actuarial internship/co-op experiences and have prepared for and/or completed 1-2 or more exams toward ASA
- Possess outstanding technical, analytical, interpersonal skills
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Have strong desire and demonstrated ability to lead
- Have strong desire to develop business and actuarial skills
Projects and tasks may include the following:
- Compile and categorize data and use data to make decisions on items such as factors to be used by Underwriting.
- Perform actuarial research, assist with experience studies, and apply actuarial theory and methods
- Analyze network discounts and develop network/PPO factors to use in rating; analyze network performance
- Assist in development of pricing for various medical, dental, vision plans for use by Underwriting, and provide Underwriting guidance for tailoring benefit plans
- Assist in review and update of manual rates and trend
- Assist with development of pricing for new products
- Assist with loss ratio analysis
About Excess Reinsurance
Founded in 1988, Excess Reinsurance was one of the first managing general underwriters in the nation to specialize in stop loss insurance. Thirty years later, we’ve grown from a tiny team of three underwriters to a robust cadre of sales and underwriting professionals, legal counsel, administrative support, a growing actuarial staff and a comprehensive claims department. Our sister company, Argo Capital Group, was founded in 1996 as a vehicle to facilitate risk sharing for Excess Reinsurance’s partners and clients.
Today, Excess Reinsurance underwrites stop loss policies for more than one thousand groups annually while remaining true to our four core principles: integrity, stability, innovation and quality service.