Financial Data & Billing Intern
Location: New York, New York
Job Type: Part time
**This is a year round internship and we are seeking students in their senior year to work 10-20 hours per week. **
Who We Are
Covala Group (part of NFP Corp) is a proven enroller and administrator of voluntary, supplemental and individual disability benefits for large employers. Since 1993 we have connected employees of our clients to over $4.5 billion of income protection. We have also assisted Fortune 500 companies in the development and implementation of group life insurance, corporate owned life insurance, and long-term care programs. Our name, Covala, was inspired by the covalent bond, the strongest type of chemical bond there is. Covala embodies our dedication to forming powerful bonds with our clients and plan participants — connecting them to the benefits they need and the service they deserve.
About the role:
The Financial Data and Billing Intern will provide basic analytic and administrative support to Covala’s Financial Data and Billing Team. The position is 100% flexible between remote and in-office work. Covala provides insurance premium calculation, billing, and premium reconciliation support to over 50 corporate clients for their executive disability insurance benefit. Corporate clients include Fortune 500 companies such as JPMorgan Chase, AbbVie, and American Express. The Financial Data and Billing Intern will be an integral member of the four-person team providing this financial and billing support to our large corporate customers.
The Intern will assist with downloading billing, remittance and discrepancy files from our corporate clients and insurance company partners. They will help analyze the data received and provide solutions for clients. In addition, they will handle administrative duties such as managing and updating workflow calendars, updating our internal database and answering billing inquiries from individual insureds.
Our organization believes in continuous process improvement. The individual in this position may also participate in the company’s projects that involve working with cross-functional teams. This is an excellent opportunity for a motivated, energetic individual to contribute directly to a growing business and gain valuable experience.
What you will be doing:
- Responsible for downloading all billing-related files from corporate clients
- Download bill, remittance, and other billing files from various clients, via sFTP (NFP, WinSCP, Client Based Servers), Egnyte, SharePoint, Client Secure Sites, or E-mail.
- Analyze data for accuracy and completeness
- Responsible for updating and maintaining all client workflow calendars in Covala’s internal database
- Responsible for generating and checking data used to inform individual clients of changes to their billing
- Responsible for updating the internal database with new financial data
- Research corporate clients’ financial history of billings to assess if updates are required
- Interact with Database team to ensure clean financial data resides in our database
- Responsible for managing insured listing from largest insurance carrier partner
Who you are:
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Strong Microsoft Office skills, particularly Excel
- Detail-oriented and analytical approach to work
- Ability to work on fast paced team in a high activity environment
- Self-organized and self-accountable qualities
- Strong ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, and manage time
- A team oriented and collaborative attitude
- Currently obtaining a bachelor’s degree with a focus on accounting or finance
We’re part of NFP, a six-time Best Places to Work award winner in Business Insurance who has also earned the 5-Star Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) award from Insurance Business magazine and the WORK180 employer endorsement. NFP is a recognized Elite Agency award winner and a leading property and casualty broker, benefits consultant, wealth manager, and retirement plan advisor. NFP provides solutions enabling client success through the expertise of over 7,000 global employees, investments in innovative technologies, and enduring relationships with highly rated insurers, vendors and financial institutions.
What We Offer
We're proud to offer a competitive salary, PTO & paid holidays, 401(k) with match, exclusive discount programs, health & wellness programs, and more. Our PeopleFirst culture focuses on building and nurturing lifelong relationships with our employees because, at the end of the day, we exist to be there for others.
The hourly range for this position in NYC metro area is $17/hr – $18/hr.
The base salary offered will be determined by factors including, but not limited to, experience, credentials, education, certifications, skill level required for the position, the scope of the position, and geographic location. Actual base salary offered will be determined on a case-by-case basis. In addition to the base salary, this position may be eligible for performance-based incentives.
NFP and You... Better together!
NFP and Covala Group is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer.