Location: Research and Development
Job Type: Full time
Nuseed delivers VALUE BEYOND YIELD ® through dedicated service, locally proven canola, carinata, sorghum and sunflower seed for farm customers and new plant-based solutions for end-use customers globally. Our industry leading Beyond Yield Carinata and Omega-3 Canola products provide a truly sustainable platform recognizing the ever-evolving environmental challenges our world is facing. All of this is core to our global commitment and what sets us apart. Over 300 Nuseed employees work across our global locations, including three world-class Nuseed Innovation Centers. Established in Australia in 2006, Nuseed has grown to offer industry leading germplasm, advanced molecular capabilities, regional R&D and commercial teams in Australia, Europe, North America and South America, and sales in more than 30 countries. Nuseed is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nufarm Limited (AUX: NUF).
Based in Breckenridge, Minnesota Nuseed has an opportunity for a Sunflower Breeder. This role will be responsible for the planning, managing, and leading the breeding activities required to deliver on the sunflower strategy directed by the Sunflower Breeding Lead. This includes maintaining the integrity of the breeding processes, ensuring adequate resourcing to meet critical deadlines, establishing both nursery and in field protocols. The Sunflower Breeder will provide leadership to the activities related to the Breckenridge sunflower yield trial program for both oilseeds and confections in North America and Europe.
- Assist oilseed breeding activities for Northern Hemisphere
- Involvement in all technical aspects of the breeding pipeline from crosses to selection such as design, seed preparation, management and oversight of plot trials, data collection, data analysis and reporting of results in consultation with breeding lead.
- Management of the contra season nurseries, design, set up, coordination with co-operators and timely shipping and receiving of the material.
- Coordination of introgression and observation nurseries in Breckenridge, West Sacramento, and Serbia.
- Assist yield trial leadership for North America and Europe, Leading the development and evaluation of new hybrid combination and test crosses in collaboration with the breeding lead.
- Provide leadership to the yield trialing team and coordinate samples collections, note taking, and assessment of trial quality.
- Travel to offsite locations several times a season
- Provide technical support to commercial and marketing teams including interactions with third party accounts
- Give updates or presentations as required as part of Product Advancement meetings, R&D group meetings, external conferences, etc.
- Provide input for budget development and implement approved budgets
- Provide input to safety officer and local team to help continually improve safety protocols and procedures.
- Role will require the ability to lift up to 60 lbs.
- Possess and maintain a valid driver’s license
Nuseed is looking for a candidate with 10 years’ experience in Sunflower Breeding. The ideal Sunflower Breeding candidate should have experience including, but not limited to managing and leading a seed breeding program, complex global teams, directing processes, projects, operations, data collection, analysis and summarization. Do you have excellent people skills, the ability to work as a positive team contributor and in collaborative settings towards common goals? Are you a good communicator, and able to represent Nuseed well? The right candidate is a highly self-motivated individual who will proactively work towards key objectives, with proficient computer skills and be able to learn databases or other software as required.
Salary Range: $90,000 - $110,000 USD
Nuseed takes several factors into consideration when determining salary ranges. These factors include, but are not limited to, candidate experience, education, geographical location, and industry. Nuseed roles are incentive eligible and offer a robust benefit package that are not reflected in the noted salary range.