Senior Detection & Response Data Engineer, Federal
Location: Remote -
Job Type: Full time
Information Security is a top business imperative at Okta. In addition to driving security in our Corporate environment and Okta service, the Security team is deeply entrenched in the Okta business. As such, we contribute to product roadmaps, branding, research and other strategic aspects of our operations. We work across multiple functions, business partners and the research community. We are an engineering-focused team that seeks to stay on the cutting edge of security technology and the threat landscape.
The Defensive Cyber Operations (DCO) team is seeking an experienced software engineer to contribute to Okta’s federal detection and response program responsible for defending the Okta Federal platform. This is a great opportunity for an experienced software or data engineer to expand more into the security space.The Role
You will operate as part of the DCO Federal Detection and Response Engineering team, building and maintaining the detection and response capabilities to enable Okta’s data-driven approach to defensive cyber operations. Core responsibilities include:
- Determine and address needs for security data that will enable the continuous improvement of detection and response capabilities
- Lead the design, development, and maintenance of highly scalable data pipeline software and infrastructure that enables rich security, eventing, and analytics use cases
- Design and build data models for optimal storage, retrieval, and correlation of security data to enable detection and response use cases
- Research and integrate cutting-edge security data analytics technologies into our processes, such as graph databases and visualization, machine learning, streaming data analytics, and Jupyter Notebooks
- Pivot comfortably through complex, diverse, time-series security event data to provide thoughtful analysis on behaviors of concern
- Write well-researched, well-engineered, and performant queries against security data to raise events of concern to the forefront and meet our reporting requirements
- Take part in a team watch rotation, triaging alerts escalated via automated processes, internal reports, and third-party notifications
- Actively participate in incident response when needed, and contribute to IR process improvement and automation
- Perform the Technology Research, Security Research, and Architecture Reviews needed for a thorough understanding of the Okta Platform to understand what we are defending and how to defend it
You’re a team player. You have great communications skills and a thirst for knowledge. You’re curious about systems and how they interact, knowing that to properly defend a system you must first understand how it works. You enjoy automating tasks and if you can’t find a tool for the job you create one. You’re calm under pressure and have a good internal compass for taking calculated risks.
If you don’t have a degree, you have equivalent experience that’s given you the foundational knowledge to understand complex computing environments.
You’re a leader. People want to work with you. You know what it takes to build world-class software which facilitates best-in-class data analysis in support of defensive cyber capabilities. Your experience probably includes:
- Leading the development of key new features in microservice-oriented software, with a focus on data architectures
- Working with modern software tools and agile methodology (SDLC, CI/CD, TDD, Git)
- Working with Cloud Services and Infrastructure as Code (AWS + Terraform)
- A deep understanding of SQL and data pipelines
- Developing and maintaining security and data analysis tools
- Using Workflow management and ETL tools/services such as Apache Airflow, Prefect, AWS Step Functions, and AWS Glue
- Using Big Data/MPP tooling such as Snowflake, AWS Redshift, Google BigQuery, Azure Data Warehouse, etc.
- Using big data languages, tools, and libraries such as advanced SQL, AWS EMR, Apache Spark, Apache Presto, Apache Hive, Apache Flink, PySpark, Pandas, NumPy, SciPy, and MatPlotLib
- Building and maintaining real time streaming infrastructure with tools such as AWS Kinesis, Apache Kafka, Apache Storm, etc.
Ideally you also have experience in several of the following areas:
- Working closely with Engineering teams on Design Security Reviews for new features or major enhancements.
- Secure engineering concepts such as secure coding practices and secure code reviews, and the ability to identify, mitigate and prevent threat vectors.
- Development work experience and excellent understanding in mitigating OWASP Top 10 attacks on applications, cryptography, key management, PKI, TLS/SSL, DDoS mitigation, authentication, authorization & application security.
- Analyzing critical systems to understand both how to break them and defend them against attack.
- Researching the tactics, techniques and procedures of sophisticated adversaries and hunting for evidence of them within an enterprise environment.
- Working collaboratively within product and/or enterprise project teams, assisting to deliver large and complex technology solutions.
- This position requires the ability to access federal environments and/or have access to protected federal data. As a condition of employment for this position, the successful candidate must be able to submit documentation establishing U.S. Person status (e.g. a U.S. Citizen, National, Lawful Permanent Resident, Refugee, or Asylee. 22 CFR 120.15) upon hire.
((Colorado, New York and Washington only*) Minimum OTE of $135,000/year + equity + benefits))
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
By submitting an application, you agree to the retention of your personal data for consideration for a future position at Okta. More details about Okta’s privacy practices can be found at: https://www.okta.com/privacy-policy.